We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
329 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

We are looking at staying at the Savannah Bed and Breakfast and are hoping to walk to most of the action. We are going to be down for New Years Eve and want to be able to walk from our hotel. Does anyone know how far of walk this is and if it's safe to walk down to the Riverwalk at nighttime? I don't know the area at all and I don't want to book the hotel until I know what the area is like. If this B&B is too far, than any suggestions for a hotel that is close by within a few miles by taxi. We are trying to stay around $100 a night. Any suggestions are appreciated..

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

We have been to Savannah several times and never had a problem walking at night. Just be aware of your surroundings and stick to the well lighted streets. New Years Eve should have pleanty of people milling around so you should'nt be alone.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

It's about 3/4 - to 1 mile from this B&B to the main attractions and River Street.

Now, if someone told you that it was 100% safe...and no one had ever had any trouble along the way.....Would you believe them? Things happen!

You will be safer with someone than you would be by yourself, taking a short cut down a dark alleyway. Day time is safer than 2:00am. Use common sense. Don't flash wads of cash and if you have had a lot to drink, arrange for transportation from the bar.

The entire historic district area is about 1 1/2 miles by 1 mile. If you don't stay within this area, the next choice would be the Midtown area, which is about five miles away.

Good Luck on finding something for less than 100.00 per night. Don't forget to add in taxes, etc.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

If you're getting a rate at $100 a night in the historic district for New Year's Eve, I'd grab it now. As long as you're not out until 2 & 3 in the morning, you're about as safe as safe can be walking in Savannah's historic district. We've never had a problem but then again we've only been out 1 time after midnight and that night I drove to the other side of the hd and then drove back to my hotel. This was when I took the midnight tour through Blue Orb.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

Yes, be aware of your surrounding. When walking through the squares, you will see homeless folks from tsime to time, so please be aware of that.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

I second Aileen. Be careful and use good judgement. Savannah is a safe place to visit but any city can be dangerous late at night. Enjoy your trip.

Woodbine, Georgia
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

We've stayed in the Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn a couple of times. It's a pretty nice walk (several blocks) from the River Street area but it is a safe enough walk. Like others have said, always be aware. We're in Savannah several times a year and have never had a problem.

I don't know that you can ever get the Savannah B&B Inn for $100.00 a night....ever. We usually travel mid-week and I don't think I've seen it that low. They do have a reservation that allows them to choose your room for you and that "mystery" room usually books for slightly less. The room could be the least expensive or their most expensive. You might want to try the Thunderbird Inn. It is within two or three blocks of the waterfront and just off the main road into Savannah.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
329 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

Thanks for the helpful information. We were able to book the Savannah b&b for $129/ night. We are looking forward to our visit.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

Have fun and enjoy your trip. Savannah is a great city.

9. Re: Help with area please...is it safe to walk around at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 10:19