We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

My friend and I are very excited about our two night stay in Savannah! we are also foodies, like ol architecture, a good drink, hospitable atmosphere. We are staying at the Gastonian and we want at least one great dinner with southern ingredient themes or touches (we live in NY so have enough access to french, italian etc!). We plan to visit the Jepson museum and will walk through the city market area.

Any other must dos??? I heard it might rain this weekend. We want a nice grown up but laid back place for a cocktail as well and good coffee

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

When you say southern, are you wanting fried chicken or fried foods or more organic foods/cooking with with a southern touch?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

Locall 11 Ten is a fun fine dining choice. Their rooftop bar is outstanding. Crystal Beer Parlor has fun food. There are some nice restaurants in the City Market. B Matthews has a great breakfast. The Gastonian is nice. Enjoy your visit.

http://www.local11ten.com/

Mentioned in this post
Crystal Beer Parlor
Crystal Beer Parlor
3,589 Reviews
Savannah, GA
City Market
City Market
2,001 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

Mrs Wilkes for down home cooking. They only serve lunch and there is useally a line but worth the wait. Six Pence Pub is also very good. B Matthews for breakfast. The 17 & 90's Inn and the Old Pink House are great for dinner. Rocks on the Roof is great for cocktails they have the best view of the river. Visit the Vistors Center to get a walking guide booklet and just stroll around the Historic District. River Street is just a tourist trap would'nt waste my time. An on and off tour is another option to get a feel for what you may want to see while walking around.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 19:15
Mentioned in this post
Six Pence Pub Savannah
Six Pence Pub Savannah
2,051 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah Historic District
Savannah Historic...
11,902 Reviews
Savannah, GA
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,402 Reviews
Savannah, GA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

Hey - thanks to everyone for your help. Southern food - probably at least one fried meal and definitely also a contemporary take.

How about the dueling piano bar...is that worth it?

I heard it might rain this weekend so we definitely we will go the SCAD

thanks

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

As an x New Yorker you must try Mrs Wilkes for lunch. Worth the wait. Get there 1/2 hour before they open to avoid a long wait.

Boston
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

I would like to add that dinners at BMathews are pretty terrific also. Even the food is uniformally crummy and has been pointed out, is mega touristy (IMHO), you might enjoy a snack along River Street so you can watch the big barges come up along the River.

Eat in places that advertise Georgian shrimp which they should proudly do.

Try any place that advertises Red Velvet Cake which I hear originated in Savannah.

Mentioned in this post
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,402 Reviews
Savannah, GA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

Thanks everyone! Great ideas

8. Re: First time to Savannah - what to do and eat for 2 days??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 10:33