We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hutchinson Island

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hutchinson Island

Hey Guys. Is a trip over to Hutchinson Island worth it? What is there?

Thanks!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hutchinson Island

Nothing is there except a golf course, a convention center, and a hotel. Oh, and a unused race track. That's about it. No lovely scenery, nature trails or beaches.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hutchinson Island

Thanks for the update!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hutchinson Island

You forgot the gnats. You will enjoy real good sitting on River street looking at it across the river.

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hutchinson Island

Oh my gosh, we took the ferry over from River Street and I thought the gnats were going to eat us alive! They were horrible. If that's an issue all the time, I feel for the people staying at the Westin or trying to play golf. I couldn't get away from there quick enough!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,657 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hutchinson Island

What?! You didn't take your Skin So Soft? :-)

There were sample bottles on the tables at an outdoor theater in Louisiana years ago.

Gnats are equal-opportunity residents of many states.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hutchinson Island

I live in the NC Mountains and we have just as many gnats and mosquitoes as anywhere in Georgia when its humid. If you're out at night, you've got to have some kind of bug repellant on or you're going to get eaten up. As far as the race track not being used, it was definitely being used when I was there a couple of years ago.

Katonah, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hutchinson Island

Race track is not unused. I will be driving in vintage car races next weekend.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hutchinson Island

Hutchinson Island is known as a dumping ground to people who live here. The race track was closed years ago but they are trying to get something going again. That's why the vintage car show. Lots of luck in this economy. A couple of months ago the county statement was

" current plan for Hutchinson Island, which involves two concrete jersey barriers which would require special equipment to move them for special events, like sanctioned, permitted races".

Katonah, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hutchinson Island

The track at Hutchison has a history dating back to the early 20th century. Savannah Speed Week will have close to 100 cars racing in multiple classes. Should be a lot of good viewing as well as racing.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hutchinson Island

Please let me know where you got the info on Hutchinson Island being a race track back then. Could not find it on line. Plenty of racing here back then. Some of the original track is still partially intact in places ( less so every few years for safety reasons - removing curves). LaRoche Ave has about a mile of the original race path. Coffee Bluff & Skidaway Rd are pretty much straight now. How did they get there since the Talmadge Bridge had not been built.