We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Street Inn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
River Street Inn

I have read mixed reviews about the River Street Inn. Should I be concerned? We have reservations to stay there in April.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Street Inn

I think you will enjoy it. It's bigger than most B&B's but nothing like a hotel. The building is really interesting and it's in a great area. Go and enjoy your trip. If you are unhappy change hotels.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Street Inn

I would rather stay at the Hampton Inn on Bay ( hotel) or Planters Inn. I have been to all 3.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Street Inn

"It's bigger than most B&B's but nothing like a hotel." ????

It IS a hotel.

It's not a B&B.

The River Street Inn used to be in just one building and I used to stay there a lot. At the time, all of the conferences were held at the Hyatt and I preferred it because it was much smaller. It's part of Factors Row - or the buildings facing the river that housed the cotton factors and warehouses. For that reason, the location is good - most of the rooms face the river and some have doors that open to tiny balconies overlooking the river. The bad part of that is the noise that comes from River Street. If folks are partying, there's a lot of noise outside your room and virtually no soundproofing. There's a bar on the corner at River Street level. A friend actually choose the 3rd floor corner room over the bar because she LIKED the music being played downstairs as she fell asleep. I stopped staying there when the kids/teens skateboarding on the cobblestones outside woke me up at 2 am - and I'm a sound sleeper.

Over a decade ago they bought the building next door and increased their capacity significantly. When they did that they had more non-river view rooms and they are quieter. Some people like the location. I don't dislike the River Street Inn but you are right ON River Street - and there's good and bad that comes with that.

The Planter's Inn became my next favorite place and I love the location next to the Pink House. When they build the Hampton Inn on Bay, it became my next favorite place. My new favorite place is the Staybridge Suites.

For many, many years, the Planter's Inn/ Hampton Inn on Bay was the better end of Bay Street. There have been so many significant changes in the last three years (especially since Ellis Square was finished) that ANY hotel along Bay from the Mulberry to the Doubletree (and even over the the Hampton Inn on MLK) is a good location now. Truly. ANY hotel along those several blocks are EQUALLY attractive as far as location is concerned.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Street Inn

One more thought about the newer hotels, even ones in older (historic) buildings or buildings built to look old/historic - they have better soundproofing. That's true of the Hampton Inn and Staybridge Inn vs the River Street, Planter's Inn, East Bay Inn. Having said that, I would be happy in any of those I mentioned.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Street Inn

Thank you for your feed back. I just reviewed the Planters Inn website and that is a much better fit for us. I just call and we are booked. I'm so excited. That is the type of place I was hoping for and couldn't find it.

Thanks again!!

6. Re: River Street Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:16