We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help and Advice

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Help and Advice

We'll be staying in Savannah for one night in June and to be honest I'm struggling a little with finding a hotel.

We''ll have a hire car and my partner (even though it's not his car) is very fussy about where and how it's parked, and this has become something of an issue. We don't mind paying for parking, but he won't park in a public garage and will only self park, he won't use a valet.

The other thing we're looking for is a safe part of town, as many of hotels I've looked at (where the parking suits) seem to be in areas where you people in the know say you wouldn't walk at night. We're happy to pay for a cab both ways to have our one evening out in the HD.

So can you help me? Price isn't too much of an issue, although I'm not looking to pay top rates, but parking and location (from a safety perspective) is.

Many thanks

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

Here are three options - all in good areas and in the historic district.

1) The Hampton Inn on Bay - there is a small parking garage under the hotel that is for hotel guests only. The only problem is, their overflow parking is ina public garage across the street. BUT if you get a parking space in the garage underneath you'd have no need to move it. I've only had to park in the overflow parking once.

2) The Planter's Inn parking is in a garage next door BUT I think it's also a public garage. You can call and ask to confirm.

Parking is at a premium in Savannah.

The only hotel parking lot that I can think of that is JUST hotel parking AND self park is the Marriott Riverfront. It's a bit further down on the river so a bit of a walk, but not far. It's a nice walk and you can walk along the river OR take the water taxi if you don't want to walk.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

Another option IF motel style parking is okay would be the Best Western Plus on Bay Street. There is a parking lot JUST for hotel guests. It is outdoor parking in an open lot (no garage).

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

If you won't be there but one night consider a few of the hotels on the left side of this page. After only one night if you don't like your room you are leaving anyway. Enjoy your visit.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

Onemoreroad - many thanks for your advice, I'm now going to spend some time and look through your suggestions. It's very much appreciated when people on these forums, like yourself, take the time to help.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

Axel - if you'd read my post you'd have seen that the room itself was pretty irrelevant to our needs, location and parking, opinions that on which can be very subjective and not always made clear in reviews, are, hence my request for help and advice here.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

The Best Western looks a good option for us and I'm just off to book up - once again many thanks

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

Inn on Ellis Square has a parking deck only for their guests along with the Best Western on Bay Street which is an older motor inn but has been completely remodeled. Another option is one of the B&B's that have street parking available if that suits you. We stayed at 17hundred&90 Inn and bought a discount parking pass from the visitors center. We were able to park at the front door except for one night and even then we were still able to park a few cars down and could see the car from our room. As Onemore said, parking is a premium in the historic district. I've never let it get in the way of me enjoying Savannah. The Presidents Quarters is more upscale than 17hundred&90 Inn and across the street from it and they have a parking lot only for their guests. I'm sure if it's full, you would either have to go to street parking or to a public garage. Car break ins happen everywhere and I always advise people the only thing you can do is not give them a reason to want to break in. Have fun.

8. Re: Hotel Help and Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:24