We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

We are staying in Hilton Head, but are doing a 1-day Savannah trip. There are three families with 5 teens. We plan on walking through the historic district (no paid "tours" - watching the budget and wearing out the teens in the process!). While meandering around, we may like to tour few of the MANY homes and/or museums. There are too many to choose from, and I don't know what the kids may/may not like??? What would your suggestions be?

Thanks so much!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

That is a tough question, so much room for perspective.

I think the best deal if you like museums and historic houses is the package for the Telfair. Two museums, right near each other and a beautiful house a few blocks away with lots of history. They have a family pass too.

Look here for more info:

http://telfair.org/visit/

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

If you have girls and they were ever a girl scout or thinking about becoming one, they might like the Juliette Gordon Low House. You can get a pass for 3 houses there but it may be difficult to see them all in a day plus try to see other things. The history museum may be a good introduction before you start walking around. You can view a video and tour the museum in about 90 minutes unless you spend a lot of time in the history museum itself. I would try to get there when the doors open if possible as you'll need all the time you can get. I wouldn't waste my time standing in line for restaurants unless eating at some place is your main focus. I'd go where it's most convenient as most of Savannah's restaurants are good.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

A really good self guided book which provides great information on the squares and history is "The Savannah Walking Tour and Guidebook".

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
852 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

Thanks for the tip ncgator. We are going down there next month and I ordered the book.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,934 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

I would go back to Savannah just to revisit Telfair.

What a lovely museum. And Shavers Bookstore nearby .. a winner also.

6. Re: Need to pick a few homes/museums in Savannah's Historic Dist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:41