We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A B&B question...

canuckinidaho
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
A B&B question...

I am looking in Savannah for a B&B, but I am having a hard time sorting out some details between them all. I am looking for one that has an exceptional breakfast and is not overly Victorian in decor. I see a lot of inns that seems rather cluttered with antiques and I would like something a bit more modern. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A B&B question...

Most all of the B&Bs are older historic homes therefore they most likely will be funished in antiques. One that might be of interest to you is the Catherine Ward House in the Victorian District. Take a look at it and see what you think. Some of the condos on www.savannahgetaways.net may be furnished more to your liking but you'll be on your own for breakfast.

http://www.catherinewardhouseinn.com/

There are some modern hotels recently built. They are the Bohemian and The Avia.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A B&B question...

Some of the common areas may have period antiques, but how much time other than breakfast will you be spending there. Most of the rooms will likely not have any antiques although the dressers, drawers, and bed frames may be made in the traditional style.

Catherine Ward House makes a terrific breakfast, and the others and staff are lovely people. It's just a block from Forsyth Park in a safe part of town. It's about 1/2 mile from the historic center.

canuckinidaho
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A B&B question...

Thank you to both of you for your input. I was considering the Old Savannah Inn as it has many good reviews, but their are a few negatives and they all complain of the same things and that is giving me pause. I will look at the Catherine Ward House instead. Thank you so much. Some kind of garden or courtyard with seating is also something I would really enjoy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,628 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A B&B question...

I'm skeptical about the reviews for Olde Savannah Inn. There was a discussion about that topic on this forum but it seems to have disappeared. Read the reviews with a critical eye and see if anything seems suspicious to you.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 13:47
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,628 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A B&B question...

The prior post was unclear. It's the glowing reviews of Olde Savannah Inn that are giving me pause.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A B&B question...

Do a search on Old Savannah Inn on this forum and read some of the posts. Then you can make a better decision. Kehoe House is very nice and I think it's furnished for the period the house was built but I don't think it looks over done.

You should see a box above the main forum page that has Search in Savannah forums. Then type in the block Old Savannah Inn or anything you may be looking for.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 14:10
canuckinidaho
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A B&B question...

It is very interesting that you bring this up about the Old Savannah. I was becoming more and more suspect as I read through the reviews, so I will not take any more of my time considering it. Kehoe is booked for my dates, so I am looking at Ballastone and Forsyth Park Inn. I actually called both of them and was really surprised by the Forsyth. I left a message and someone called back saying they would be there until 8:30. I returned the call at 8:31 (hoping I wasn't too late). The phone was answered and when I identified myself the person on the other end expressed annoyance. At first I thought they were reacting to something going on at the hotel and then I realized that they were referring to me. I quickly went through my questions, thanked him for his time (1 min 30 secs tops) and then said I could finish the reservation online. He said that was really better for him as he was walking out the door. That didn't exactly make me feel like being a guest was going to be a fulfilling experience. Needless to say, I will not be booking there.

8. Re: A B&B question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:42