We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Water

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Drinking Water

Hello-

I am bringing a group of girls to Savannah, and have been told that the quality of the drinking water is not good. I am wondering if we should stick with bottled water while we are there, and if so, where can find the best prices on bottled water. We are a Girl Scout troop, so our funds will be limited. Thanks!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking Water

Most Savannahians have been drinking the water all their lives. The death rate here does not show any horrible results because of our drinking water. It's from the Florida Aquifier. Some do not like the taste, but that's their problem. Not the water's.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,677 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking Water

It's hardly the African savanna(h).

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking Water

I've never noticed anything different from Savannah's water than mine here in North Carolina. We usually bring bottled water with us or the B&Bs we have stayed in provided it free. When brushing my teeth or eating out and drinking water in restaurants, the water seemed fine to me. Now it might be different at Tybee Island as sometimes the water at beaches have a real salty taste but I didn't notice anything like that where I've stayed in Savannah.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking Water

Savannah's drinking water is fine. It is clean and plentiful. Our supply is from the Florida Aquifer. Don't listen to the gloom and doomer, the Chicken Littles who run around scared of their own shadows. You don't need to tote bottled water. It adds to your expenses and our littler problem.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking Water

The water is fine in both the downtown and out on Tybee. If you want undrinkable tap water, go to Lubbock, Texas- yikes!

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking Water

Before my recent visit, I spent a year doing research, reading reviews on-line, reading local papers, etc., and never once heard anything about the local water. During my week-long stay, I drank from water fountains, restaurant water and tap water at my B & B, and never noticed any funny taste or got sick. The water in Savannah is safe.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking Water

My curiousity has been stirred. I would love to known where were you told that Savannah's drinking water was of low quality.

It also makes wonderful iced tea and coffee.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking Water

The water is fine.

Having said that, some people do have problems drinking water near the coast. I know folks who don't drink any local water in Florida. The additional sulfur in the water makes it taste different - and to some people that "different" is "bad". It's a matter of personal taste - not just in Savannah but in most coastal areas.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking Water

It's the same here in the Appalachian Mtns. Some visitors say there's a sulphur taste but the only time I've ever noticed is if you stay in a place that doesn't have city water.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
592 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking Water

Water can have different minerals in different areas - manganese, iron, esp. in mountainous areas. We drank the water in Savanna and it was fine. We always add lemon in case we taste ice cubes made from machines that may have more mineral deposits due to the smaller pipes in the machines may have a mineral residue more than straight from the tap. Most restaurants have a purification system to take out minerals from their water for cooking, coffee, and ice cubes. Now if you want convenience, the drugstores will carry the big packages of small water bottles , but aren't girl scouts trying to recycle more, is that a badge for ecology. Do they bring their own water bottles?