We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper flight

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
cheaper flight

Our daughter lives in Hinesville Ga. and is close to having our first grand baby!! We want to fly in to surprise her when she has the baby, as she has no family out that way!! But the flights from Albany ny to savannah are so costly, and I know nothing about Georgia, does anyone know of a cheaper way to fly there? Just thought I would ask!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper flight

Check flight prices flying into Jacksonville, FL. It's about 100 miles to Hinesville straight up I 95 and there's a very nice airport in Jacksonville. Stop by Amelia Island and visit the neat town of Fernadina Beach. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper flight

Look at Southwest Albany to Jax, also look at Charleston which is a little farther away.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper flight

The drive is further, but Atlanta via airtran is probably the cheapest. But when you consider the drive time, Jacksonville may be more economical.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,102 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper flight

I think Jacksonville may be your best bet- it is a larger airport and has multiple airlines flying there including Southwest.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper flight

Flights out of and into Jacksonville is always a lot cheaper than Savannah. The Airport in Jacksonville is just off of I-95 and on the north side of town and it is very easy to get to 95 north from the airport. Hinesville is south of Savannah and also easy to get to from I-95. It is about 80 to 90 miles.

Good luck on your trip and the grandbaby. Our first is now 6 months old and it is true that if we had know how much fun the grandbaby was going to be we would have just skipped the kids and had the grands.

Savannah
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheaper flight

Look at JAX and use Skyscanner or Orbitz. to price your ticket

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheaper flight

remember with price, Southwest bags are free, which makes a big difference

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheaper flight

Count me in for Jax airport. Nice modern airport, lots of rental car companies, and it's about 15 miles north of the actual city and right off 95. I do the Savannah drive all the time....it's a straight shot and rarely takes over 2 hours. If you wanted, you could hop in I-17 and take "backroads" all the way to Savannah. Adds about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes..sometimes an hour depending on the time of day, but completely worth it. Tons of cool views, old fishing villages, 2 lane roads, good BBQ, etc.

Savannah
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheaper flight

I think Ben is referring to SR 17. It is a very nice drive have to agree.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheaper flight

SR-17, you're right. My bad.