We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some clafication please

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Topic
Need some clafication please

I'm confused by the noted locations: downtown, midtown, historic district. What would be the the BEST general area to stay WITHOUT a car?

I'll be in Savannah for three full days and I'm good with walking and want to explore the riverfront area, city market and hope to get in a walking and/or foodie tour.

I'll be on my own during the day and looking to enjoy as much as the short time allows,

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some clafication please

The Historic District is THE downtown area for native Savannahian. This is where you will be able to see and do all the things that you are interested in.

Midtown is about five miles farther south with the usual shopping malls, etc.

Forget about Midtown and get yourself a place in the Historic District.

If someone really wanted to call an area, a downtown area, it would probably be a few blocks within the Historic District. Shopping, restaurants, etc. The entire HD is only about 1 1/2 miles by 1 miles. You can easily walk and see everything.

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some clafication please

Thanks Aileen for explaining the lay of the land to me.

So if I understand correctly - the HD starts about at Bay Street and runs to Forsyth Park?

Is that a walkable distance in between?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some clafication please

check out this site:

savannahgetaways.net/Rental_Listings/…POI

The distance from the river to the Park is about 1 1/2 miles depending on where you start and if you include the entire park.

The Historic District includes all of the surrounding homes, streets, inns, etc.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some clafication please

As Aileen says you don't want to stay in the Midtown area which is found by following Abercorn St out from the HD to the area which is just one strip mall after another. Good if you need to shop but not a place to visit. You def want the HD which is called Downtown. That's probably because they have a classic main street (Broughton) like we remember from all the old movies where you went "downtown" for something. A bit more upscale and crowded but basically the same. The streets around Broughton out to the River and down to the Park are classic Southern historic streets, peaceful with amazing architecture. Have fun!

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some clafication please

AILEEN - I've already emailed a few rentals from savannahgetaways and waiting to here back. I've always had great luck with VRBO and hope the same with them.

KERRIEB - thanks so much. When reading the descriptions on Midtown rentals they sound close to the HD but I didn't get the vibe when I also read that some provide shuttle service.

ALSO, when searching for rentals or hotels - is there areas to avoid. I don't mind taking a taxi after dark but rather walk without worry during the day.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some clafication please

The edges of the HD get sketchy. East Broad and MLK. The closer you are to Bull St, the more central you are any way so shoot for that but even at the edges, it is really pretty safe here.

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some clafication please

I appreciate your input Brian - I rather be fully aware of the areas to be a little more cautions in or if at all to avoid.

I don't see much by E. Broad but isn't MLK where the Savannah Visitors Center is?

Looking back now on a detailed map, most of the rentals I'm interested in are central to Forsyth Park and only one is on Broughton Street. My preference would be the Bay Street area although the choices there seem to only be hotels and not private rentals. Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some clafication please

There are some timeshare rentals available next to Avia on Bay Street. I believe these are one and two bedroom. They show up sometimes on Priceline, Expedia and other travel websites. I don't think you have to go through a timeshare sale meeting unless you're renting them for practically nothing. I've seen them range anywhere from $99 to $299 a night depending on the season.

bluegreenrentals.com/landing/the-studio-home…

square.aspx

This is another rental website that may have something you might consider.

staysavannahvacationrentals.com/?s=property

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some clafication please

I'm not sure how big of a rental you need but Six Pence Flat is in an idea location in my opinion. It's very close to the center of the historic district. It's an easy walk from there to most anywhere in the historic district.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some clafication please

have you stayed at the six pence flat? I know it is above a dress shop but is it the only unit in the building?