We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Torn between new or old. Also River Street Inn has had some bad reviews but better price with a balcony. Anyone stay at both before?

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Which Holiday Inn? There are several. Do you have an address?

Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

199 East Bay, HI Express.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Quite a bit of difference in the two. River Street Inn makes you feel like you are in Savannah. Holiday Inn Express makes you feel like you are staying at a place on I 95 for the night on your way to DC. My vote is RS Inn.

Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Thanks RS it is!

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

I understand your concern about the reviews of River Street Inn as some of them are scary. If you like Holiday Inn properties, the Holiday Inn Mulberry Inn on Bay Street is in an older building and more of an older style inn than the Holiday Inn Express. The only negative is it doesn't have a a river view.

Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Thanks, I will check it out.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,828 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

"Holiday Inn Express makes you feel like you are staying at a place on I 95 for the night" = ???? I don't think the poster has stayed at the HI Express in the Historic District. I would strongly disagree with that statement. The River Street Inn is built in an older building (part of Factor's Walk) and doesn't have great sound insulation. I stopped staying at the River Street Inn because of noise from skateboarders on the cobblestones at 2 am. But, the river front rooms are nice with the view. The Mulberry (a Holiday Inn) is very nice as well. Neither the Mulberry nor the HIX feel like an expressway hotel. Nor do the other new hotels built in new buildings made to look old - the Hampton Inn, Staybridge Suites, etc.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

I also have to disagree with Axle. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Bay St and it is very nice. We had room with a balcony over looking the river. Nothing like an Interstate hotel at all.

Edited: 24 August 2012, 13:06
Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

Maybe she was thinking of the HIE on I95. I still am leaning toward River Street Inn, even with noise and mildew! It just looks like it has an awesome view and, even better, a good price.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn or River Street Inn

I think Axle means HI-Express is a generic box hotel where the lobby may be decorated in Savannah style but the rooms are equivalent to what you would find in most HI Express' with a few exceptions of course. Yes it will be different because it's in Savannah's historic district but not entirely different.