We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants with local food

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants with local food

We`re staying at the Holiday Inn Express on East Bay Street for a few days next month. Want to try some local "delicacies" whilst we`re there. Don`t like anything too posh, ie no "fine dining" - just good home cooking within walking distance of our hotel. Any suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants with local food

I've been many times and off the top of my head:

1) red velvet cake at Leopolds Ice Cream on Broughton St (I think the first red velvet cake was made in Savannah)

2) any place that serves she-crab soup- that seems to be a local food, certainly can't get it here in the Boston area

3) any meal that says it has Georgian shrimp in it

I'm sure the full-times can chime in here with other food items

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants with local food

I've lived here all of my life and I cannot think of a single local delicacy.

I thought she-crab soup was an import from New England. We always toss the female crabs back.

The local shrimp dishes would probably be your best bet.

Savannah has been a Port City for a over 200 years. We have a large population that comes from other places with their own food likes and dislikes. I don't think anything could be claimed as a local dish.

The one exception might be a Low Country Boil. That's a shrimp concoction from over the River in South Carolina. Frankly, it's a tourist dish as most prefer the shrimp cooked separatly and not just dumped in a pot with stuff like corn and sausages.

If you are not familiar with Southen Fried Chicken, that would be a good thing to try. It's not really a Savannah Dish, but southerners everywhere call it wonderful.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants with local food

Be sure to have lunch at Ms Wilkes, family style, southern home cooking of high quality.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants with local food

Shrimp and Grits is something I think of being a low country dish. You are seeing it on more chain restaurants menus but it's not the same in my opinion as what you get in Charleston or Savannah. My other half loves Low Country Boil and he usually gets it somewhere when we're in Savannah. I love Fried Green Tomatoes from either The Pink House or 17hundred90 Inn. Most Savannah restaurants will have this as an appetizer.

There's all kinds of restaurants within walking distance of your hotel. If you don't want to eat in the main dining rooms at The Old Pink House, then go to Planters Tavern which is in the basement or go there for lunch. B. Matthews is another good choice but I understand they're doing some renovations and are closed down for a few weeks. I would stay away from buffets and restaurants that have factory in the name but that's me as I'm not into all you can eat type of places.

You might want to check out Best of Savannah that just came out in Savannah Magazine.

savannahmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011…

Another website to look at is www.savannahmenu.com. Make sure you look at the ones in the historic district.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants with local food

Mrs. Wilkes for a real Southern experience. Get there early or its a bit of a wait.

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants with local food

The "Tavern" at the Old Pink House is a terrific option. Live piano music in a relaxed, casual setting -- unlike the upstairs levels which are posh & elegant. The Tavern has the same menu, a bit pricey, but outstanding local food. My husband & I continue to return to this favorite restaurant. All seafood, fried green tomatoes & grits are fabulous. Skip the Caesar -- other Salad choices are much better. Reservations are not accepted in the Tavern -- try to arrive 7PM or earlier for quicker seating.

17 Hundred 90 Inn is rustic elegance, but not posh. Outstanding food in a dimly lit dining room with a better price point than OPH. Another favorite and always top notch local food. There isn't anything on this menu to avoid and the best glazed biscuits are served prior to your meal -- delicious!

If you change the "walking distance" part, take a 10-15 minute drive out to Tybee Island (Bay St. to Route 80) to enjoy the Sundae Cafe. It is worth the ride! Food here is as good as the OPH & 17H90, if not better in some cases. Fried green tomatoes, stuffed shrimp and chedar grits served "cake" style cannot be beat. Portions are large and reasonably priced. The restaurant has a bar, is casual but charming, and is small so be sure to make a reservation. Do not get put-off by it's location: in a tiny strip mall next to a licquor store & gas station -- enter with a level of comfort... If you want outstanding local food in a relaxed setting, Sundae Cafe is a must try. And, it is not a tourist trap.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants with local food

Thanks for all these suggestions. Very helpful.

Do you reckon I need to make reservations before I arrive? We`ll be there Sunday thru Thursday in mid October.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants with local food

You should make one at Olde Pink House if you plan on eating there. The others I don't think you'll need one during the week. Mrs. Wilkes is of course first come first serve and Mondays and Thursdays would be the days I would recommend to eat there as the crowds tend to be down on those days.

9. Re: Restaurants with local food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:15