We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid town area

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
mid town area

Hi,

How far from downtown is the midtown area? I'm looking at the Fairfield Inn midtown because I can get a really fantastic rate. (I work for Marriott) Is it a safe area? Is it too far to walk into the historic area? I am planning an end of December trip.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mid town area

It's about five miles. If you want to walk it, you can. But there are city buses that stop nearby.

The main problem is that you can't just pop back into your room for a quick rest. You have to go to the bus stop, wait on the bus, ride back to the midtown area, and then to your room. If you have a car, then all you have to do is locate parking.

I think Marriott has a hotel in the Historic District.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mid town area

The midtown area is largely a very wide street with strip malls. Nothing wrong with that as everyone goes there to shop for basics but its not the type of leisurely strolling on your way to the HD type of street. Lots of noisy traffic and lights. Try to put the money together to stay right in the HD if you can.

gnd
Atlanta
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mid town area

If you are going to have a car, it really does not matter that much. it only takes 15 minutes to drive just about anywhere in the city. It just depends on what you plan on doing. If you plan on hitting the bars in the HD and areas, then something in walking distance would be appropriate. No drinking and driving. I definitely would not walk from midtown to downtown.

North Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mid town area

Thanks for the replies. We will be driving. There are several Marriotts in the Historic District and I'll keep looking for my associate discount to come available at one of them. Jennifer

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mid town area

I'd defnitely wait. All of the Marriott properties in the historic district would be better than the midtown area. I would never stay in the midtown area unless I had no other choice.

savannah, ga
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mid town area

Honestly you are paying much more per night in the Historic District. They have built several nice Hotels, just south of Derenne, Look in the 5000 block forward. After you get to the 11000 block there are older hotels, but when you get further down, there are newer hotels again, that are 20 min or so from downtown.

If you can book just south of Derenne you will be in a new hotel. These hotels are a cheap cab ride from downtown, and If you take a cab have them drop you at the Hyatt.

There are also houses to rent downtown, that you might enjoy as well. Many houses have parking adjacent so you are not paying the hotel for that ammenity.

Downtown is great and hopefully you will get your discount but if not expect to pay a premium price for a room. I hope you enjoy your stay!

7. Re: mid town area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 10:15