We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

An overnight for us(60s). We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Bay St. It was perfect for us. The rooms were lovely and there was a lobby bar. Our first stop was City Market which was right behind the hotel. We shopped and ate goodies. Next we headed to the RIverwalk. Establishments were loud and we just couldn't find the restaurant for us. Finally, we saw Chart House. It was lovely and relaxing. The food was excellent. We walked the couple blocks back to the hotel at 8:00. I felt very unsafe. We had a drink at the lobby bar and called it a night. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast at our hotel. Next stop was Paula Deen's Store. I love Paula Deen and cooking so this was the highlight of my Savannah trip. I bought lots of items. We were on our way to FL so only had the one day but we are glad we stopped. This was our second time in Savannah and the city just isn't for us. It is probably because we are from a small town.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Sorry you felt unsafe but honestly, the only time I have worried about my safety is being out after midnight on a ghost tour and having to walk back to my hotel and then nothing ever bothered us. Savannah has a variety of eccentric personalities around and yes there are areas on the outside of the historic district that can be dangerous but every town has that. I feel more safer in Savannah's historic district than I do my little sleepy home town in NC because we have crime too and most of the time you never hear about it unless you have a police scanner.

I hope you'll come back to Savannah and give it another try. Stay in a local inn where you'll meet locals and maybe you won't feel unsafe. Trust me there is so much more to Savannah's historic district than River Street (river walk), City Market or Paula Deen's restaurant and that's not slamming any of them.

2. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Savannah
Recent Conversations