We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy grits?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
switzerland
Level Contributor
128 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy grits?

Hello

I will be visiting Durham, Charleston, Savannah and Athens soon. Last time I was in Savannah I simply couldn't stop eating shrimp and grits and I am thinking of bringing some grits home this time.

So where would a good place to buy grits? I will have a car so let's hear it!

Thanks

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy grits?

Any supermarket will have several brands. If you want something possibly a little more gourmet, most of the touristy shops will have something also.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy grits?

Most all of the touristy shops will have them and then you could probably find plenty at grocery stores, etc. Simply Savannah on River Street has an entire wall of specialty Southern foods and then Paula Deen's gift shop probably has them too. The store called Charleston Cooks in Charleston will have some I know.

http://ansonmills.com/products/8

Edited: 13 December 2012, 20:04
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy grits?

Any supermarket will have them. Pick a couple of different kinds. Typically the white grits are the most common but there are yellow grits.

Do a search for Chef Joe Randall's creamy shrimp and grits for a recipe, Paula has one online too. The thing with shrimp and grits is there are hundreds of different recipes

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy grits?

Stone ground grits are the best.

Quaker puts out one that is made from Hominy Grits, it's not quite the same.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy grits?

The secret to good shrimp and grits is the time the shrimp are cooked. They will get tough very quickly so it might take you a little practice to get the time right. You want your shrimp tender, not rubbery.

Many of us that live in the rice growing areas, grew up eating shrimp and RICE. To me and my family, it's much better than grits. Once you get a recipe that you like, try it over rice.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy grits?

And fefinetly not instant grits. You also might want to check if it allowed into Switzerland.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy grits?

Oh, can't wait to try grits. Have no idea what they are, but have been planning our trip to the US for months now and shrimp and grits are at the top of the list!

Will be checking out Simply Savannah in May!

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy grits?

Just remember it is varied by your taste; grits are pretty plain by themselves so you have to experiment with the amount of water (consistency, do you like them thick or thin), salt (not tasty without it), and other add-ins (bacon, sausage, cheese, shrimp, etc). Don't get discouraged if first batch is not what you dreamed of. The good news is that they are cheap, and a bag makes alot of servings.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy grits?

I still just don't understand this food item. We are Yankees with a house in Savannah and will move there when we retire so maybe I should take a course on understanding grits. Why not just eat oatmeal with everything? One LOCAL person told me they were a wheaty-grain thing and someone else said corn and someone else said rice. What the heck?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy grits?

They are corn and if you don't like or understand them, we'll have your share.