We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week or 10 days in May

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A week or 10 days in May

We need to be in Charleston at the end of May for a wedding, and are trying to plan a Spring trip around this. We are considering a cruise that begins in Jacksonville, FL and ends in Charleston at the right time. It is quite expensive and we are thinking perhaps we would prefer the freedom of flying into Savannah and then renting a car and toodling around on our own for a week. What sort of an itinerary would you suggest. We are not sun bathers, but enjoy nature, scenery, good food, exploring. We are no longer terribly active, but are not sure we are quite inactive enough for this cruise. Any suggestions to help us begin our planning would be a help. We love Tripadvisor Forums!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A week or 10 days in May

I agree. Skip the cruise. Fly into either Savannah or Charleston and go around the area to suit yourself. There is a lot to see and do around Charleston. Then, coming on south to Savannah, there's Beaufort and Hunting Island plus scads of other places.

Savannah is worth a few days too.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week or 10 days in May

Is fly into jacsonvulle. Then head to amelia island. Frnindina beach for a nt. Then head to Savannah 3 nights. Beahfort 2 its then Charleston. It's an easy drive and kits to see. Is stay in planters inn in sav and eat at. Punk house

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week or 10 days in May

I would much rather be in Savannah than on a ship. There are so many things to see and do. If you're up to it, walk through the squares. If not, take a tour by horse and carriage or a trolley. Go through some of the many beautiful homes and churches that are available for tours. Go to City Market and have a slice of pizza at Vinnie Van Go Go's, after going through the shops. Have lunch at Mrs. Wilkes she's rated # 1 in Savannah on T A. I've been many many times; it's great food and fun visiting with the people at your table. Walk through Colonial Park for a real history lesson. I highly recommend a visit to Savannah.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week or 10 days in May

I second bigbomoho. Fly into JAX, explore either somewhere interesting like St Augustine or Amelia Island if you like history and scenry. From Jax, it is an easy two hour drive to Savannah.

Savannah is beautiful and romantic. You really can do as much or as little as you want - and still fall in love with the beauty of the city. Cruises are great, but you would have a hard time getting me back on the boat to leave town!

If you are not 'active' I suggest a horse-drawn carriage or trolley tour too as Sher C has suggested. The scenery and landscape make this city special. I like the scenery best at Sundown, the parks and the spanish moss are magical at that hour.

I didn't have one disappointing meal in Savannah. If you stay at an Inn - make the most of the Inn keepers knowledge - they make great dinner suggestions and know the specials and 'must try' dishes!!!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week or 10 days in May

Thanks to all. I think we will probably skip the cruise and just take it easy on our own.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week or 10 days in May

Trust me you're making the right decision.

7. Re: A week or 10 days in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:15