We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
8 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

I will be visiting my niece (who goes to SCAD) in late March. I plan on visiting with her and sightseeing around the Historic District. Staying in a hotel in the Historic District also.

Do I need to rent a car to get around? Is there public transportation from the airport to that area?

Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

A car would a complete waste of money. You can walk to and from everywhere downtown and to be honest you'll enjoy yourself a lot more if you walk, especially if the weather is nice. Not too sure about public transport from the airport but a taxi is a little over $20.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

Agree you don't need a car. Might want a taxi to binaventure cemetery. Very interesting. I don't think tybee is worth a trip. There are small touring services with walking tours

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

Agree you don't need a car. Might want a taxi to binaventure cemetery. Very interesting. I don't think tybee is worth a trip. There are small touring services with walking tours

Boston
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

You def don't need a car in the HD at all. I agree with the poster above about grabbing a cab or finding a tour maybe to Bonaventure which is pretty interesting. But I totally disagree about Tybee Island. If you are a beach lover, I would get a ride out there for a few hours to walk the beach, maybe grab a beer and some oysters. Its very laid back. The only time I would avoid Tybee is when the local college students do their annual Orange Crush weekend and trash the island over about a 2 day peroid sometime in the Spring. No idea from year to year when they do that however.

BTW, if you get tired from walking around the HD, you can call for a Pedicab and a SCAD student will show up with a bike pulling a little two seater thing and for tips, will take you around the HD or back to your hotel. I don't have the number handy but I'm sure you'll find it here.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

I agree with bigbomoho above Tybee isn't worth the time.. it is a cute beach community... I have just never thought it holds a candle to the historic district ..I know Tybee has many fans ..but I can never get enough of the beauty of the historic district even after a lifetime of visiting Savannah..Bonaventure is worth a visit..

6. Re: Is A Car Needed For A Stay In Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 05:15