We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour for a 92 year old

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Tour for a 92 year old

We will be stopping in savanah to have a look around., and spend the night. My 92 year old mother has always wanted to come here. in addition, we are traveling with two small dogs. My mother can only walk short distances. And I don't want to leave the dogs in the car for hours. Any ideas how we might get a look at the historic district. Can't imagine any kind of bus tour letting us bring dogs along???

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

Carriage tour may work out best, but doubt they would allow dogs on board.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

That might work since they rarely last more than an hour...

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

My favorite guide in ANY city is Dirk of Savannah Rambles. He used to have a ramble on his website that was created for someone with limited walking abilities. I don't see it now, but the customized option is there -

savannahrambles.com/Ramble-Descriptions.html

He is a FABULOUS guide and can accomodate your needs. There are benches at every square so your mom can sit while he talks. The dogs would be fine along on the tour.

Contact him for more information.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

It doesn't sound like your mother would be able to keep up with a walking tour and sit on the bench, etc. Sidewalks are uneven, too. Take a trolley tour. Old Savannah Tours white trolleys welcome leashed dogs. Keep in mind that any tour vehicle has several tall steps that your mother must be able to climb in order to board, unless someome can pick her up and lift her into the trolley, carriage or minibus.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

Contact Kathy at All About Savannah Tours. It is a private car tour and I have referred many tours to her where mobility was an issue. She is a very nice person and guide.

I bet she can work out the dog issue too.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

I have issues that don't allow for lots of walking and kathys tour worked for me. Plenty of benches too. Going thru the old hones was tough for me. Though eat at Hueys on the river for breakfasts get some beneights and watch the folks and the boats. Shell love it

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

thanks all for the suggestions. looks like i have several options.

8. Re: Tour for a 92 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 06:16