We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tours in Savannah

Bellport, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Best tours in Savannah

DH and I will be in Savannah for 3 days in July and want to take in several tours. Which are the best "Haunted", "Historic" and "Quirky" tours? There seem to be so many, I am at a loss.

Noble Jones Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Genteel & Bard Fine Savannah Tours
City Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Savannah Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bonaventure Don
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best tours in Savannah

Before anyone else jumps on this forum and pushes one company over another, let me say this:

What one person finds silly and trite, another person may find humorous and entertaining. What one person finds historically detailed, another may find "classroom boring". What one person finds to be a stroll through the city, another may find to be a hot jungle tour fighting off gnats. What one finds to be a pleasant ride on a trolly or carriage, another may find to be an uncomfortable rush.

"Best", "Voted #1", "First Choice of Hotels", "Approved by the Historic Savannah Foundation", all of these are "loaded" descriptions. You should visit the websites of every company (links can be found at http://www.savannah-visit.com) or look at all the brochures when you get to town and go with what appeals to you most.

Hotel concierges get a "kick-back" from the tour company they promote, and they don't always steer you to what you want. Every company in town employs licensed guides and each guide should give you an informative and enjoyable tour.

As with any other product or business you deal with, the one who's marketing appeals to you the most will make you the happiest. I know this sounds simple, but it proves true. There's a good chance you choose lodging based on the same concept.

Personally, I think you should take my tours, but I'm not telling who I work for. Now, let the other tour guides hiding on this forum under fake personas begin pushing their companies.......

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best tours in Savannah

Your best bet is to maybe call around and see who the companies themselves recommend. I mean, phrase it like, "If I wasn't going to take your tour, who should I go with?"

Visiting the websites really help, too. If the site stinks, how good can the tour be?

Auburn, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best tours in Savannah

I just got back from Savannah yesterday. We did the On/Off Old Savannah Tours trolley. We had several different guides...most were very funny.

But we saw several people on these hearse ghost tours. I would not take one of those if you paid me. The guides were dressed in a lame version of goth(?) and were screaming at the people. Not my idea of fun.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best tours in Savannah

You will be in Savannah at a VERY warm time of the year. If you take my suggestions for one selection, be sure to do so in the early evening....when it's not so warm. I have taken many guests on a horse-drawn carriage tour (if you can spring for a private carriage, it's truly lovely) because it's rather unique, moves at a slow, southerly pace and you are sort of "out there" and more exposed to the squares, the moss, the culture....than on a closed-in vehicle or even a trolley. I frequently see folks who've splurged on a privage carriage drinking champagne as they tour and it is a genteel and one-of-a-kind experience. Having gotten all sentimental, I'll now tell you that you may opt for ONLY those tours, restaurants, and all else that's heavily air-conditioned. Be prepared for heat and humidity unlike you've experienced in Bellport!

right there
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best tours in Savannah

I don't mean to hijack this thread but while we are on the subject of trolley tours-Are any of them air conditioned? I noticed the websites usually say they are heated but I'm wondering if they are cooled as well.

England
Level Contributor
478 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best tours in Savannah

Joandio

you gave a honest reply to the enquiry that I congratulate you on ,

Personally I live in England have been to Savannah several times now & been on several tours , I find the orange and green trolley bus company very good ( SORRY FORGET THE NAME ) , having always joined it at the tourist information centre on MLK Blv after parking up the car for the day , getting the on /off privileges’ .

Each tour guide gives their own whit and information , ALL & I MEAN ALL are very good and professional at what they do but some are better than the other , by that I mean their personality not their professionalisms

I can’t say one company is better than the other or if they give a better service than the other, as all companies are after the tourist.

In my eyes all do a good job; I can’t say any thing on the hearse tour having never been on it I have seen it doing its round but that quirky isn’t for me you do see people enjoying it so good luck to them.

It all depends on what you really want out of a particular tour.

LALA01

What ever tour you decide to take I am sure you will enjoy it , form my experience I would take a on /off trolley tour either take the complete ride round which will take approx 90 mins , get an over view make notes of what you would like to see more of and head back there ,

Now about the question on air con vehicles

They do tours in air con vehicles but you are totally enclosed in the vehicle obviously ok if you want to be enclosed but on the trolley buses even thou they may be hot, you do get a better atmosphere being out in the open sitting on a trolley bus for me is much more enjoyable than sitting in an enclosed vehicle. (Guess its some thing to do with me and my motorcycle the wind in your face syndrome.

What ever you decide enjoy your vacation, can’t wait till the 30th when I arrive.

England
Level Contributor
478 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best tours in Savannah

Joandio

you gave a honest reply to the enquiry that I congratulate you on ,

Personally I live in England have been to Savannah several times now & been on several tours , I find the orange and green trolley bus company very good ( SORRY FORGET THE NAME ) , having always joined it at the tourist information centre on MLK Blv after parking up the car for the day , getting the on /off privileges’ .

Each tour guide gives their own whit and information , ALL & I MEAN ALL are very good and professional at what they do but some are better than the other , by that I mean their personality not their professionalisms

I can’t say one company is better than the other or if they give a better service than the other, as all companies are after the tourist.

In my eyes all do a good job; I can’t say any thing on the hearse tour having never been on it I have seen it doing its round but that quirky isn’t for me you do see people enjoying it so good luck to them.

It all depends on what you really want out of a particular tour.

LALA01

What ever tour you decide to take I am sure you will enjoy it , form my experience I would take a on /off trolley tour either take the complete ride round which will take approx 90 mins , get an over view make notes of what you would like to see more of and head back there ,

Now about the question on air con vehicles

They do tours in air con vehicles but you are totally enclosed in the vehicle obviously ok if you want to be enclosed but on the trolley buses even thou they may be hot, you do get a better atmosphere being out in the open sitting on a trolley bus for me is much more enjoyable than sitting in an enclosed vehicle. (Guess its some thing to do with me and my motorcycle the wind in your face syndrome.

What ever you decide enjoy your vacation, can’t wait till the 30th when I arrive.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best tours in Savannah

Thanks, Harley!

And you are right - none of the trolleys are air conditioned. And if it is raining, the windows and tarps come down and it gets muggy inside.

However, people prefer the trolleys over the enclosed buses because they like to take photos during the tour.

9. Re: Best tours in Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 07:17