We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Delran, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

My sister and I are splitting our 5 day vacation between Charleston and Savannah in late October. We are arriving in Charleston (via plane) first then plan on renting a car to drive to Savannah and fly home from there. My question is do we spend 3 days in Charleston and 2 in Savannah or vice versa? We are big fans of historic houses, historic walking (or trolley or carriage) tours and ghost tours. It will be our first time in both of these cities and we want to stay in the historic district in both places so we can walk to shops, restaurants, tour meeting places etc. Looking for any and all advice. thanks!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Of course you will here from both sides. My side is stay in Charleston for 2 days, then come to Savannah for 3. So much more to do & see here in Savannah.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

I prefer Charleston and would spend more time there, but it really comes down to researching what you want to see and do.

Collgeville, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

I've been to both and they are similar in many respects and different in others. I personally found Savannah (historic district) to be more quaint and charming. It is completely walkable and the way the squares are situated, makes things easy to find. Both cities have fantastic restaurants.

Delran, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Thanks everyone!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Savannah

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,610 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

You can easily see Charleston in two days if- you take a full day tour of the city and one of the plantations. A full day tour will cover just about all of the city, historic areas, market square, etc. and then either Magnolia or Middleton Plantation. Your other day you can spend going to Ft. Sumter or touring some of the museums or homes, etc.

Savannah as others have said is walking friendly. Tybee Island is just a short drive away and has the lighthouse, Ft. Pulaski, etc. You will find great food in both cities. The historic squares, cemeteries, ghost tours, etc. are all must sees in Savannah.

Charleston SC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

If you are not locked into air reservations I would strongly suggest you reconsider your plans. I live in Charleston and next week I plan to spend a week in Savannah. You can only get a hint of what either city is like in 5 days. You are going to waste too much time going from place to place. If you pick Charleston forget renting a car. Stay downtown you could stay a month and not DO half of it. The same for Savannah. I noticed you are from New Jersey I have a house in Manasquan.What ever you do enjoy it and forget about pizza,breakfast,Italian or Asian neither city does them.

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Here's a link to a similar discussion tripadvisor.com/…36888050

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Hands down, it's Savannah for me. I've been 3 times to Charleston because I kept going back to hopefully get a better feel for the city and give it another chance but I never felt welcomed by anyone except the hotels and the people conducting the carriage rides. I immediately fell in love with Savannah and drawn back. When I leave all I can think about is going back. I don't know what it is but there's something and I never felt that way about Charleston.

Delran, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Savannah and Charleston. Where to spend more time?

Thanks Caribchickk, I'm looking for a nice place to have dinner to celebrate my sister's birthday while we're there.