We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

Hi. I we are going to be in Savannah for two days in October, possibly Monday and Tuesday and have no itinary and want to make the best use possible of our time. Really looking for a must do list and some help with where to stay. Would like to be very central, walking distance if poss and recs for restraunts etc. On a bit of a budget (arent we all) so any help would be really appreciated from experts or regulars who could share some tips. Thanks

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

Do you want to take a tour, or are you interested in exploring on your own?

Budget restaurants include:

(Lunch spots) Angels BBQ, Zunzi's, Jen & Friends, and the Firefly Cafe.

(Dinner spots) Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub, Cosentino's (Italian), and Moon River Brewing Company.

Budget hotels are Comfort Inn & Suites, Thunderbird, Best Western, Day's Inn @ Ellis Square. You may want to check out Priceline.com and some of the other travel websites for room deals before making a reservation.

Savannah
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

I'd try The Mansion on Forsyth Park - it's the cool new hotel in town. See if they are offering a killer online room rate - they do sometimes on expedia and such.

Any activiites that surround Bull Street are great - it's the center of Savannah. River Street is cheesy - but fun too.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

The "must do" list would be to go from Bay Street on the North to Forsyth Park on the South. Go down Bull Street. That's about one mile. It would take you through several of the squares, then over to Abercorn Street back to Bay. Either on your own or on a tour.

Check out this map. It is of the Historic District.

www.savcvb.com/savannah/maps/downtown.shtml

Then, Go down to River Street and snoop around all the shops. Sit and watch the ships go by. There's nothing like one of those big container ships going by. They look close enough to touch!

Since you are from the UK, I doubt if the inside of our house museums would have much charm for you as they can't hold a candle to some you have. However, the parks and squares are something special. Also, peek through the wrought iron or brick fences into the courtyard gardens of the old homes.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

The Mansion is not what you would call centrally located. It is on the far southern edge of the Historic District. Nice place, but not very handy when it comes to popping back to your room for a rest.

uk
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

Thanks for all the great info. The walk sounds great just up our street.Are there any tours that come recommended and how about at night. Any great restraunts, bars or night tours that are worth while. With only two nights we want to pack it in. Really love to get a feel for a place, and in such a short time I know its going to be hard

Ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

Try the Park Avenue Manor its $135 a night and its beautiful from what I've heard I'm staying there in a few weeks I'll come back and report.

Madison, Maine
Level Contributor
187 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

My Mom and I went on a budget and had a great time. My two top MUST DO's are the Savannah candy Kitchen and Mrs. Wilkes for lunch. Check my Go List for details

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3681-Girl_Scou…

Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

I agree with the Savannah Candy Kitchen. I have never liked pralines UNTIL I tasted the warm ones from there. They even mixed up a batch for us while we waited with more chocolate in it!!

The assortment is fantastic :)

East Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

Hello~

My daughter and I returned yesterday from Savannah! We loved it and we, like you, are on a budget. This is what we found to be great. We splurged and stayed in the historical district at Inn at Ellis Square. It was a great location for the convenience BUT if you are trying to save money and if you are going to have a car then i am going to suggest staying OUTSIDE the historical district perhaps on Bay or Abercorn somewhere out of the HD for more than 1/2 the price of inside HD. Drive to the HD and pay 8.00 for all day parking over by City Market (very safe lot). This will save you a ton in cash not spent on hotel. We paid 9.00 a day to park at the hotel and really wish we would have stayed outside the district and drove 5 minutes in.

Start by purchasing early that morning a ticket on Old Town Trolley because they have on/off privileges from 9-4:30 at all their stops. This is WELL worth the money and one of the BEST things you will do to get to know the city and to show you where to visit. It is a must because you are going to have a hard time just looking for the places to go if you are on foot. Plus if you want to go somewhere that is not listed on their tour they will tell you the stop to get off at so you can go. People will tell you that everything is within walking distance but let me tell you that you have to be in dang good shape to hoof it all over the city searching for locations and there are some streets you will feel a bit weary walking down if you know what I mean. The tickets can be purchased online for a discount. Do not do the Ghosts and Gravelstones night Tour.....that is not a good investment....uuuughhh!!

Contrary to what some say about Lady and Sons Restaurant (Paula Dean's Place) we went in and had DESSERT only and were very pleased! I am from the South and do a lot of Southern Cooking myself so I wasnt going to pay 15.00+ for a lunch buffet of fried chicken , mashed potatos, etc...We ordered the Key Lime Pie and LOVED IT!!! Tamara was our server and she did a splendid job of making recommendations for places in the city.

One of the locals told us about a GREAT PIZZA place called Vinnie Van GoGo's that was SO SO SO good! The price was cheap...2.50 for a huge slice or 11.00 for a large cheese pizza (our favorite) The crust was awesome!!! You will not be disappointed in their calzones either....they are great as well. They are only open for dinner during the week and lunch and dinner on weekends.

For dessert, go right next door to Savannah Candy Co. (the BEST candy store in the HD) and they will give you samples big enough to quench your sweet tooth for free! Then go sit in the courtyard around 7 pm for a free singer on the square across from Wild Wings Restaurant....great fun cause the guy was great when we went...

I highly recommend the Juliette Gordan Low (sp??) House. She was the creator of the Girl Scouts. I was not sure if I would like this tour but it turned out to be wonderful. There is 70% authentic furniture and accessories still in the home from the family and that makes it even better for the historian. After this go to the Low House for an idea of super wealth during the Cotton Kingdom times....Dont miss the Mansion on Forsyth Park (free tour) and one that will make your mouth drop with pure AAAHHHH!! This place is wonderful and the people are so friendly even to the freebies tourist. The cheetah room and the artwork that resembles Picasso, huge chandeliers and staircases make you know exactly where the stars stay in Savannah when they visit. Be careful in the square parks in the city at night because it is not uncommon to see a beggar or homeless person asking you for cigarettes or money.

We found River Street to be a little "seedy" at late night. The restaurants are very pricey but for a splurge you might got to Vics On The River for a real treat. The LIfe Is Good store is great on the river.

If you are not a shy person and like to eat lunch at your table with people you do not know then try Mrs. Wilkes for great Southern cooking. But like Lady and Sons, you must get in line early that morning around 9:oo to reserve a seat. B & D burger is a great place for a big juicy burger(off the beaten path) and Sapphire Grill beside Lady and Sons is a wonderful restaurant and not as pricey.

On our last day we went to TYBEE Beach for some wave jumping! Al that is going to cost you is around 5.00 to park. Bring your lunch and eat on the beach and enjoy it. It is only about 20 minutes from Savannah.

Have a wonderful time!!!! Email me if you have questions. davisandtammy@aol.com Tammy

uk
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two days where to stay, what to do....help needed

All this info is fantastic. I have printed everything off to digest at my leisure. Thank you all so much. We cant wait for October to come round. Keep it coming...