We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Savannah

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Savannah

I'm planning a Christmas holiday trip to Savannah from New Jersey. Airfare is outrageous. I'm considering using the train(Amtrak). The ride is 14 hours long without a room available. I'd appreciate suggesstions of going halfway and spending 1 night in wherever the halfway point would be. Anyone tried this method of travel? Please advise. If so, what was your itinerary?

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Savannah

I'm not sure about halfway. I would think somewhere in NC would be. Maybe Raleigh?

Orlando
Level Contributor
402 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Savannah

I'm not sure what the Amtrak trains are like from New Jersey, but I took the Amtrak from FL to DC w/ my daughter (who was 7 at the time) and my mother w/ no sleeper car, and we vowed to never do it again. The bathrooms were vile by the end of the trip and the food for purchase was expensive and sub par. My romantic Orient Express notions were shattered LOL

Boston
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Savannah

Did you look at JetBlue? At least from Boston they now offer non stop to Savannah and the prices weren't too bad. I can't believe that train travel would save you that much money to make the aggrevation worthwhile

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Savannah

The JetBlue flights don't start until February, unfortunately ... Also, the Savannah AMTRAK terminal is not downtown and you'd have to have transportation from there into the city. Can you just drive? It's only 12 hours from NYC to Savannah, straight down I-95. You could split the trip in half somewhere around Richmond if you don't want to drive it straight. While it's entirely possible to enjoy Savannah without a car, it's always nice to have one just in case (for trips out to the beach, Bonaventure, over to Hilton Head, etc.)

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Savannah

Have you looked at flights to Jacksonville, FL? Yes it would mean renting a car but if you booked through a travel website you may could rent the car for practically nothing. I've heard of several people flying to Jacksonville, FL to save on airline costs. Remember though in Savannah's historic district, they do charge for parking and this can run anywhere from $10-$25 a day depending on where you stay and if they only have valet. You can work around it by parking in city parking garages so if you're interested in that route, pm me and I'll be glad to tell you what I do to save money on parking.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
268 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Savannah

I agree with the JAX location for flying as we are looking at that same option for the end of Dec through the 5th of January. Our big obstacle is the price of rental cars. The prices we have found are outrageous compared to SAV/ATL etc.

JAX is still our best option but to pay almost $800 for a full size vehicle for 6 days is high.

Hackensack...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Savannah

We have traveled to SC and GA from northern NJ. You can stop in Wilson, NC...and eat at CRU in a strip mall great food. Or Lumberton, NC...not a fan...or Florence, SC...very nice stop off 95 and you can go to Young's pecans outlet...good stop. Get the book Drive 95 great travel book lots of info. Good luck!

8. Re: Travel to Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:16