We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah - In town (and days away)

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah - In town (and days away)

Hello!

My boyfriend and I have just booked a week in Savannah next February. He’s been to California and Florida in the past, but I’ve never been to the States before, and we’re both really looking forward to our first taste of the South! We’ll probably end up hiring a car so we can take a day trip to Charleston, but I wanted to ask a few questions to people native to the area:

Is it worth also doing a day trip to Jacksonville? I don’t know anything about the place.

Is there anywhere else without a two hour (or so) drive from Savannah we shouldn’t miss? Might be worth mentioning that we’re a gay couple. We’re not into public displays of affection or particularly flamboyant about it, but I wasn’t sure how welcome we’d be in some of the more conservative parts of the State?

Also, in Savannah itself, we’re staying just off Reynolds Square, but we tend to walk for miles whenever we’re exploring a city. Is there anywhere in particular we should aim to avoid in the day time, in terms of safety? I think crime rates in American cities are higher than in big British cities, but then it also seems that Americans are more safety-conscious (or sometimes a little over-cautious) about these things, so would be good to get some local knowledge.

Thanks,

Max

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

Other areas that might interest you are-

Tybee Island which is just outside of Savannah and has a beach, lighthouse, Ft. Pulaski, etc.

Beaufort which is between Savannah and Charleston

Golden Isles- St. Simons and Jekyll Island south of Savannah

Cumberland Island National Seashore- take the ferry from St. Marys or Amelia Island to this secluded pristine island for the day (this is where John F. Kennedy, Jr. was married)

Amelia Island, FL- much nicer than Jacksonville imo- a nice beach, horseback riding, Civil War fort, lighthouse, etc.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

!st I consider Savannah a gay friendly city. That does not mean there is no crime. Club One is a club you do not want to miss, especially if Lady Chablis is there. http://clubone-online.com/

Not worth it to visit Jacksonville unless you like a zoo a lot. Cumberland Island National Seashore is amazing. http://www.nps.gov/cuis/index.htm

Plenty to do in Savannah. Tybee Island area Fort Pulaski, Tybee lighthouse, Stingrays or Crab Shack for lunch.

Savannah, squares, historic buildings, museums, plays & River St, City Market for night clubs restaurants, antiques & art.

Not downtown Savannah - National Wildlife Refuge, Skidaway Island State Park for a great walk thru a small coastal island. http://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland

Wormsloe Plantation http://www.gastateparks.org/Wormsloe

One day for Charleston. Drive up in the AM. 2 plantations to visit on the way.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

I agree work SavannahBruce. Savannah's is a gay friendly city, as are Atlanta and Charleston. I wouldn't worry about that.

Jacksonville is not worth the day trip.

If you're flying in and out of Atlanta it's worth spending a night here to see a large American city but Savannah and Charleston are much more charming.

Re crime run some searches on this forum and review prior discussions. I really don't think of the US as being any less safe for tourists than any British or European city but you'll need to know what areas to avoid and what problems are unique to the cities you're visiting.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

Thank you for the responses! Some really great ideas.

PeachBelle8288, I think we'll definitely end up stopping in Beaufort, it looks beautiful, and if we do head south, it'll definitely be for Amelia Island rather than Jacksonville!

SavannahBruce, thank you for the Club One trip. I have ordered a copy of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil so I can read up on Chablis, and the city in general. Skidaway and Wormsloe are also going on the "must-do" list.

and JAtlanta, unfortunately we're flying straight into Savannah (via an hour lay-over in Charlotte) which is convenient but means probably won't have the chance to see Atlanta. And many thanks re: the crime think - most reassuring.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

As far as crime is concerned, you will be fine as long as you practice common sense. There are less than desirable neighborhoods directly outside the Historic District and you'll figure that out pretty quickly. You will have enough to do with all the great suggestions you got which will take you well away from any options to walk where you don't need to be.

Jacksonville is not worth the trip. There is a section along the coast called St Augustine which is nice enough but really not worth the 2 hours drive down and battling their crazy traffic (I used to go there for work). You will have enough fun in the Savannah area trust me!

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

Do consider Jekyll Island and St. Simons for a day trip.

7. Re: Savannah - In town (and days away)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:16