We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

Leominster...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

Wife and I will be traveling/driving through Savannah December 29th (Sunday) and back again in about 10 days. We are interested in stopping at local arts and antiques shops...american folk art, nautical items, pottery...unique pieces. Are there such shops in River Street neighborhood or really more oriented to tourist items? Are most shops open all day Sunday? Thanks!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

Lots of art & antique shops downtown. City Market has local artist/painters. For an unusual place try Cobb's Galleries on 37th & Abercorn. Most antique knowledge of any one I have ever met. Unusual items in this store you will not find downtown. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobbsgalleries

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

I would follow SavannahBruce's suggestions. River Street is basically tourist tshirts, candy, silly hats etc. It is fun to stroll around there as it is right on the river and its fun to watch the big barges go by and listen to street musicians but for the type of shopping you are talking about- nope

Leominster...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

Thank you both for feedback!

Are there particular streets/neighborhoods in downtown we should check out?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

Well first of all , as far as I know, when people use the term "downtown" they are referring to one major street, Broughton which is long and full of decent shops and restaurants, its a classic "Main Street" with many little streets all around it, all on a grid pattern. At least that's what I hear about when the word downtown comes up when we are visiting. But overall, downtown is part of the Historic District (HD) which runs from the end of Forsyth Park to the River. Get a map of the HD and you will easily see this. So you can start at the far end of the Park and walk straight out to the river, maybe a mile or so to the end of the HD since then there is the river. From the Park to the River are a number of small and large grid patterned streets, all that will be on a map of the HD. So you can explore all you like and never run out of new neighborhoods to see IMHO. There are over 20 little parks between all these intersecting streets that are great for people watching and many are next to little cafes.

I strongly recommend getting a tourist map of the HD then you will be ready to stroll. I can't think, personally, of any one street that is nicer to check out than others but it depends on whether or not you have specific historic sites you want to see, Inns to visit, restaurants etc. Try figuring all that out maybe then attach a street or park to your destinations. You cannot go wrong!!

5. Re: River Street Marketplace...and other suggestions???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Savannah
Recent Conversations