We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need reservations for the first week of May

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
136 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Need reservations for the first week of May

Hello Everyone,

We are a family of four and curious if you would think we need hotel/condo reservations for the first week of May. We have never been to the Savannah area and we are just hoping to drive in and just find us a place along the way. We will probably end up in the Tybee area, but yet to find the perfect place.

Thanks,

Tennessee

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

If you can't find the "perfect place" ahead of time, what makes you think you'll find it by just driving up?

tennessee
Level Contributor
136 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

Because we have did it in the past and found some really nice places. Example Myrtle Beach is a fun place to go, but pictures an be deceiving until you get there and find out you do not want to be close to the strip.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

I would make reservations just as a precaution. I remember several vacations we drove into a town only to find a fair or special event going on and there were no places to be found.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

I don't see any advantage to not making reservations. You have Tripadvisor and Google maps to learn about what part of town you want to stay in, and which hotels are recommended. I would not waste valuable vacation time driving around to look for a hotel with availability, and then risk disappointment because the hotel had a problem that I would have known about if I'd done a little homework on Tripadvisor.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

The advice about booking in advance to make sure you don't arrive during some local event that has filled the hotels is good. We always book in advance but on a recent road trip circumstances created a day when we couldn't, so thought we'd just drive till we wanted to stop and then find two rooms. Turns out that it was move-in day for the university in Knoxville (we were helping our college student drive home from a summer internship program near Washington, DC and it never occurred to us that some schools have move-in early in August) and rooms were booked, booked, booked. Meant a couple of hours more driving; that was the last time we ever arrived in a city/resort without a booking. I've also been at several hotel desks, checking in, in cities and in more remote locations, where people turn up looking for a room only to find that there is no availability. Time spent looking for a room instead of enjoying their holiday.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,882 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

We always book reservations ahead of time. You can check out this website for events in Savannah- know they will have a seafood festival one of those weekends in early May.

visitsavannah.com/…

SCAD graduation is not until the end of May.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

Another reason to book in advance is to look for special rates rather than paying the walk-up rate, which is usually higher.

I once took a road trip where we chose hotels along the way. It was a little adventurous until we arrived in a city where all the hotels were sold out and after several hours of driving had to sleep in the car.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

Tybee is nothing like Myrtle Beach. Tybee is a little beach town with cottages, beach houses, some condos and older type motels. No high rises like Myrtle Beach. There's nothing wrong with doing what you want to do but I'd check and make sure no events, festivals or anything like that is going on in Savannah or Tybee as hotels fill up fast and you'll end up paying top dollar when you don't plan in advance during a busy time. May is considered Prime Season in Savannah so rates will be up there and I'd say they won't be cheap on Tybee either. Good Luck

tennessee
Level Contributor
136 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,127 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need reservations for the first week of May

personally, with a family of 4, I'd go with a vrbo. (and book ahead) Just booked a 1 bed cottage in historic Savannah for $850 for the first week of April. Ran across several 2 bedroom places for about that price or a tick higher. I prefer vrbo if I am staying a week in one spot. Saves a load of $$ on food costs and just nice to have room to spread out.

It's always a chance booking sight unseen-- I understand that :) I will not reserve any place that does not have reviews. I ask alot of questions and get info from locals on location. Hopefully, it will work out well this year. So far, I've been lucky :)