We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

MN
Level Contributor
95 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

We might have been impulsive. We bought our flight already – now we are working on a place to stay and not finding much of anything under $180/night (I am looking in areas around these two tours because I assume that is where everything else is). We are going over Memorial weekend…probably not helping things.

Any suggestions for a hotel, B&B or Rental we should look into?

We are doing a pub tour that starts at 42 East Bay St., next to the Cotton Exchange. And a ghost tour that starts at Chippewa Square.

We will likely take at least a day trip to Tybee and might stay a night since it seems like it is comparably priced to Savannah.

So I found some “vacation rentals” on Trip advisor like Marjorie's Cottage ($125/night, $50 cleaning fee) or Liberty Carriage House ($99/night with I am sure some cleaning fee). I am a bit worried about how safe these places might be compared to a regular hotel. They are both a block off E Liberty Street, Southeast of Chippewa Square.

Is there somewhere better we should look at staying? I know there are places like The 1895 Inn ($175/night) or Hilton Savannah DeSoto ($213/night). Are they better worth the money?

We would like to walk around and explore, food and drink more than history interest. Unless they have active tours (like the ghost tours).

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

You'll be fine in any hotel in the historic district.

If there are just two of you, take a look at what's available for your dates on Priceline or Hotwire. If you bid 3.5 star or higher (4 or 4.5) you'll have a good hotel experience.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

There's one 4 star option right now on Hotwire - $158 per night (regularly $254).

If you book it, it's non-refundable and charged to your card immediately. Changes are slim that you will get a rate that low later on. That rate is pre-taxes.

The other two options in the HD are the Best Western Plus and the Thunderbird Inn. Both are basic hotels but clean and I like them both. The Thunderbird has free parking and the BWP charges $10. Both are older motor lodge style hotels (think early Holiday Inn) with outside entrances. Check the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 18:39
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

Try Expedia Courtyard is $189 / down to $142 for Country Inn

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

I'm 99% sure that the hotel is the Hilton Desoto ^^^^. It's a good choice in a location. I've gotten it for $99 before but not on a holiday weekend. There is a $20 charge for parking or self-park in a garage 1/2 block away. There's a Mellow Mushroom pizza place a 1/2 block away and the Six Pence Pub is nearby. Actually, anything in the HD is in walking distance. You can buy the Savannah parking pass and/or use the free street weekend parking - although it may be hard to find a place.

MN
Level Contributor
95 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

onemoreroad - I have never used Hotwire (idea of not knowing the hotel seemed like luck of the draw) would it be bad if we ended up on the other side of the river? I tried hotwire and got the square showing the Historical District...I see one $170 down from $238. It does have a 85% approval rating.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

howmany, you can go to betterbidding.com and look at their lists for Hotwire and Priceline hotels. There's also a forum where people announce what they've "won" at what price. You can use the descriptors given to match up the hotels and using the approval rating is especially helpful. The 85% approval rating is a key giveaway that it's the Hilton Desoto. I've had very good experiences using Hotwire and pretty good experiences using Priceline. I have NO hesitation bidding on a room when the hotel has 90% approval or higher and will not bid on a hotel with less than 75%. I never bid on anything lower that 3.5 stars.

There's no problem with being on the other side of the river. Actually, it's pretty nice. Easy parking and ride the free water taxi across the river to River Street. It's often easier than actually staying on the other side. The Westin is the only option there so you know which hotel it will be. The Westin used to be a 5star "resort" when it opened and now it's a 4star. I think the Hilton used to be a 3.5 but now it's up to a 4star. I had a bias against the Hilton because it's "modern" in a historic city (felt the same way about the Hyatt). I really like staying there and the staff was VERY nice. But keep in mind, you can't cancel the reservation so that's a drawback. You have two months before your trip so there's a good chance you'll see better deals. And the good deals on HW/PL usually don't pop us this far out.

MN
Level Contributor
95 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

Do you think better deals for a good hotel will come up over Memorial Day weekend? How booked up do things get in Savannah at that time? A lot of the B&Bs I have checked are already sold out of their basic rooms.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

Book a hotel room NOW that can be cancelled.

Then watch for better deals to come along.

If you find one, cancel the hotel room and book the deal.

But I'd book something now (not from a 3rd party vendor, but directly with the hotel)

MN
Level Contributor
95 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

So clever....why didn't I think of that.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and walk around, but not go broke.

go to priceline and bid 4 star in "savannah", not "Savannah area". You will get the Westin which is across the river, but has free shuttle boat service to River Street. You should be able to get it for $80-90 per night (I have never paid more). But note that the pool is only 3 foot deep.

DO NOT BID LESS THAN 4STAR, as that can get you any motel 6 in the area.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 12:01