We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic homes to visit

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Historic homes to visit

My husband and I will be in Savannah on April 19-21. We were there for a day and a half a few years ago, and did the "on and off" tour which we really enjoyed. We were hoping to visit some historic homes/plantations this trip, and would like some input into which would be the most recommended. This is Easter weekend, so wondering if that would make a difference in what's opened and what's not. As we leave Savannah, we are headed South towards Valdosta. Are there any other small historic towns / plantations along our route? Thanks for your help!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,429 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic homes to visit

Check out Wormsloe Plantation-

http://gastateparks.org/Wormsloe

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic homes to visit

Green-Meldrim House was where the General, Sherman stayed and set up his headquarters after Union forces took Savannah in the Civil War. It's designated a National Historic Landmark. The Episcopal church next door owns it now. Since you will be in Savannah during Easter week, call to make sure they are giving tours when you want to see the house. 912 233 3845 tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60814-d10…

And while you are in that area... There is a great little ladies tea/lunch room on the corner of Bull Street across from the church! It's in what used to be an apothecary and it has interesting ambiance. It's run by SCAD. Super food! It's called "Gryphon". tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60814-d6467…

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

Lincoln,California
Level Contributor
66 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic homes to visit

Sorrell Weed house is a must I am told. I am planning on this tour. You can book tours ahead online which is a little cheaper.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic homes to visit

I highly recommend Owens Thomas House (part of the Telfair Museums) and Andrew Low House (the adult home of Girl Scout founder Juliette Gordon Lowe). I am also a big fan of the Ships of the Sea Museum, which is housed in the Scarborough House on MLK.

Wormsloe is nice but the original plantation house is long gone. Bonaventure Cemetery is a must see.

Not much on the way to Valdosta, except the Brunswick and the Golden Isles and the Okefenokee Swamp, both of which are worth a visit.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic homes to visit

Hofwyl Plantation is very well worth the stop.

georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-arc…

or Fort King George

http://gastateparks.org/FortKingGeorge

both just North of Brunswick

6. Re: Historic homes to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17