We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piccadilly Cafeteria?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Piccadilly Cafeteria?

I would like to ask whether the Piccadilly Cafeteria at Oglethorpe Mall is still open. I see online that a lot of Piccadillys have closed. Thanks.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

It shows up on their website -

Oglethorpe Mall

7804 Abercorn - Box 72

Savannah GA 31406

Phone: 912-352-3521

Fax: 912-352-4515

Dine-In: 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM

To-Go: 11:00 AM - 8:30 PM

Notes: Restaurant closes at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday's

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

Of all the restaurants you could choose, you want to go to Piccadilly ????? There is a reason most of them are closing, as most cafeterias that serve canned food died years ago. If you are going to do cafeteria food, Golden Corral is a better bargain.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

I completely disagree. I like Piccadilly Cafeterias and feel their food quality is far better than Golden Corral.

My personal favorite is S&S but there's no location in Savannah. If you are traveling through Macon, there are two there and my favorite one is the Chamblee-Tucker location.

http://www.sscafeterias.com/locations.htm

http://www.sscafeterias.com/history.htm

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

I am sorry, if I was traveling to some remote town in the US, I wouldn't mind cafeteria food, but if I am traveling to a city that is known for its food (New Orleans, Memphis, Savannah, Kansas City, New York, etc...), I am going for the local flavor. I can eat Piccadilly anytime.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

That's a good choice for you.

Others make different choices. When I traveled for business in Florida, I ate at a Piccadilly at least once a week because I wanted the menu options. IMO Piccadilly and S&S offer quality food at a reasonable price. IMO Golden Corral offers poor quality at a discounted price.

You can "eat Piccadilly anytime" because you live in a region with that option. The OP is coming from Chicago and doesn't have that option. There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to experience southern cooking, albeit via cafeteria. Hopefully I'll not be scolded if I ask for a good Greek diner when traveling in NYC. In fact, I have a favorite I return to but it was difficult for a friend who moved south from NYC to find the equivalent in Covington GA. He went there every day for breakfast. I've not eaten there since he moved. There's nothing wrong with him looking for a little touch of home. There's nothing wrong with the OP wanting to return to a Piccadilly in Savannah. Changes are she's not going to eat lunch there every day, but why criticize if she does?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

No doubt, it is definitely their choice, and that is fine if in the end, they choose to make a decision that is their choice, that is contrary to everyone else's opinion. But just like when posters want to stay at the hotel that is closest to the TED, and we experts advise them not to, I offer the same advice when it comes to restaurants.

They can choose to accept that advice or go with their choice. No skin off my nose, if they do.

I was not aware that Piccadilly or S&S was not a national chain (I didn't know it was a southern chain), so that is my bad,; nonetheless, it would not be my top choice restaurants, but that is me.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

Yes, they are southern chains and offer up southern cooking. If someone is looking for southern cooking in Savannah, it's as valid an option as Mrs. Wilkes or the buffet at Paula Deen's. Yes, it's a cafeteria and has as much "atmosphere" as a Johnny Harris, but all of those offer up food options not available in Chicago. I don't see the need in mocking someone for choosing those options. We certainly aren't mocked for wanting deep dish pizza in Chicago.

Re regional restaurant choices - here's an article about NYC area Greek diners -

nytimes.com/1996/04/14/nyregion/the-kaffenio…

"Joint. Greasy Spoon. Coffee Shop. Whatever you call them, diners are quintessentially American places, popular for their proletarian image yet characterized by one long effort on the part of their owners, usually immigrants, to give them "class."

Since the 1940's, most diners in New York have been owned by people of Greek descent. Tasso Manessis, the president of a Pan Gregorian, a food-buying cooperative among 150 Greek-operated restaurants in NYork, estimates that roughly two-thirds, or 500, of the 800 or so diners in the city are Greek. And he agreed that many have a similar style.

They are temples to food, with novel-length menus, mirrors, murals, tiles, bright lighting and revolving cases of gargantuan desserts. And they are remarkably similar considering most are owned by different one- or two-family partnerships."

I know that the locals I know never "got" the appeal of the Covington diner but I saw the look on the New Yorker's face when he walked in. He felt at home. He dines in the most expensive restaurants in Manhattan. Daniel is his neighborhood restaurant and Le Grenouille is his favorite - but for breakfast he wants a Greek diner.

The quality at S&S is excellent and my best friend (who grew up wealthy in middle GA) has served Thanksgiving to her family for the last few years from her own china bowls - but it's S&S' cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, etc. replated. Her family knows they are eating S&S pies. They have no idea the rest of the food is from there too. :-)

Quality southern cooking as good as her mama cooked. ;)

(from recipes from the family cook before that)

Edited: 10 July 2014, 14:51
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

You don't understand. Before Piccadilly, there was Morrison's, with the same Southern-cooked vegetables and fruit cobblers, and we simply can't get those treats in the North---they don't exist here. In the days of Morrison's, when we traveled in the South we would pick up the car at the airport and make Morrison's our first stop even before checking in at the hotel. I live in a major restaurant city, but green beans here are served crispy and long-cooked creamy butter beans and tomato-y okra are unknown---also, cafeterias are about dead up here and they carry a nostalgia note for me. You don't realize what a treasure you have in food that tastes as if Grandma cooked it. As for Mrs Wilkes, everything sounds delicious, but I am zero interested in standing in line for two hours on a 90-degree day. Paula Deen, haven't decided, but so many reviews are snotty that I am thinking, not.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

I understand. :-)

I remember Morrison's. And the Magnolia Room at Rich's. S&W at Lenox Square (before it was a mall).

"You don't realize what a treasure you have in food that tastes as if Grandma cooked it"

Exactly.

If you are flying into Atlanta and driving to Savannah, do be sure to stop at S&S in Macon. I thought it was the original location but it's one of the oldest. Piccadilly is good. S&S is better.

Happy travels!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Piccadilly Cafeteria?

On second thought, if you are driving from Atlanta to Savannah, take a beautiful detour and go via 20 and 441 - and eat at the Blue Willow.

http://bluewillowinn.com/

I think miketeresa lives in Covington. We can get the food you describe every single day at Stalvey's and if you don't want to eat-in, you can get the same veggies at their drive-through restaurant, the Quick Chick. A meat, veggies, iced tea and peach cobbler for $8 every single day of the year. :-)