We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Hello,

Three or four of us are coming in October to Savannah, sometime during 10/1-10/14. We are ladies who just turned 50. We are good walkers. We like history and good food ;) We are all working people who need to watch expenses, so would like suggestions for where to stay in the historical district and where to eat, best tours, the whole shebang. Will probably be staying 3 to 5 nights.

What can we expect weather wise? Clothes to bring, etc.?

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

How about I just write down a couple of suggestions for each category you mentioned, and you can investigate from there or ask more imput from other posters on this board? I'll take your query in order:

History:

Savannah History Museum

Wormsloe Plantation (in ruins, but they have a good museum)

Owens-Thomas House

Ft. Jackson and/or Ft. Pulaski

Davenport House

Food (dinner):

Garibaldi's

Cobblestone Conch House

45Bistro

Alligator Soul

Food (lunch):

Zunzi's

Angel's BBQ

Soho Cafe

Mrs. Wilkes

Hotels:

Staybridge

Hampton Inn

Mulberry Inn

Garden Inn

Doubletree

Tours:

Old Savannah Trolley

Savannah Movie Tours

Cobblestone Tours Haunted Pub Crawl

Ghost Talk Ghost Walk

The weather should be beautiful. Hope I've been helpful.

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Tram,

Thank you so much, you have given me good places to start my research!

What is the average temp? Will we need jackets?

If we decided to go B&B route, do you also have suggestions?

thanks so much!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

The most you would need would be some light windbreakers, but I doubt you'll need them.

The Azalea Inn is nice, but it's really the only B&B I've any experience with. I've heard nice things about the Hamilton Turner Mansion, the Gastonian, and the Eliza Thompson House. But I'd trust the travel reviews in the 'hotels' section of this site. There's a B&B for every budget here in Savannah.

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Cleone,

Check out the apartments and houses at www.savannahgetaways.net. My husband and I have rented a beautiful ground floor apartment through this website. They range in size, location and price, but its a good alternative to a hotel room or bed and breakfast. You get a real taste of living like a local resident of the historical down-town, and have more privacy and lots of room to spread out. We spent 4 nights (they all rent by the night or the week). My husband was in class most of the day, and I was able to walk the squares and streets and explore on my own, meeting up with him at different lunch locations throughout the week. I didn't have to use a car at all. The weather should be great!

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Cleone,

Check out the apartments and houses at www.savannahgetaways.net. My husband and I have rented a beautiful ground floor apartment through this website. They range in size, location and price, but its a good alternative to a hotel room or bed and breakfast. You get a real taste of living like a local resident of the historical down-town, and have more privacy and lots of room to spread out. We spent 4 nights (they all rent by the night or the week). My husband was in class most of the day, and I was able to walk the squares and streets and explore on my own, meeting up with him at different lunch locations throughout the week. I didn't have to use a car at all. The weather should be great!

Edmonton, Alberta...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Hi. I visited Savannah this month for a couple of days and would like to add a couple of recommendations.

We stayed at the Mulberry which we booked through Hotels.com and got a very good rate. The Mulberry is right on East Bay so is in the historic district and close to many attractions. They provide complimentary coffee in the lobby each morning as well.

We took the historical district tour and the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Tour. We found there was a fair amount of repitition but felt we'd do both tours again as the squares were all covered in the historical district tour. The midnight tour includes the Bonaventure Cemetary which is not to be missed!! We went with Gray Line and had a wonderful tour guide, Robert, who updated us on all the news about the folks who were written about in the novel and where they are now, etc. He was very knowledgeable and kept us well entertained an informed. I recommend this tour, especially once you've read the book or seen the film or both.

The dining room at the Mulberry was quite nice and provided our late day snacks which were very, very good. I would like to recommend Vic's on the River http://www.vicsontheriver.com/

for lunch and dinner. They provide excellent fare, service, and atmosphere, all at very reasonable prices. On their lower level, they have a smaller restaurant that is available from the River Street shopping area. You can see how the restaurant is constructed by viewing their webpage. It has several levels for various purposes.

Enjoy your trip! I plan to return to Savannah in March/April of the coming year for their music festival. Btw, I've passed the 50 mark, myself. :)

Signed,

In Love with Savannah

savannah, ga
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Ocotber is a great time to come to Savannah...the weather is a litte cooler and not as humid as July and August.

There are great tours and I would enjoy showing you the historic district, but it is 2.5 square miles which is not bad to walk, but it takes a good amount of time because you have to stop and listen to the history of the area. So I do a lot of walking and a little driving or vice versa...whatever makes you happy.

Great restaurants! Cost for lunch between $8. to $12. and dinner

$21. to $30. Museums will be around $8.

Octoberfest on the riverfront will be the first part of October. Around the 3rd weekend will be the Jewish Food Festival....I think, but will be happy to check out the date and let you know.

A lot to see and do and if I can answer any further questions just let me know, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of response from those who have visited.

Edmonton, Alberta...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

abelle

How can we contact you for tours in Savannah?

Savannah
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

Since you enjoy good food you should check out the hands-on cooking school called 700 Kitchen at Mansion on Forsyth Park hotel. It's housed in the hotel which is located across from historic Forsyth Park but anyone can participate in their classes.

I've done several and have also recommended them to friends who loved it as a fun, educational and tasty way to experience something new and fun! The classes are all hands-on and of course you get to enjoy eating the food at the end of the class.

When I participated the classes were $90 per person for 2 1/2-3 hours. Chef Darin who's the director of the school and instructor does an incredible job of making everyone feel comfortable to ask questions and have a good time.

10. Re: Savannah in October for 50 somethings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 02:16