We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah - October

Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Savannah - October

Hi there,

I am coming to Savannah in October for the first time with my boyfriend. We are staying at The Marshall House and will have a car available to us, though are fine to walk around. We are excited to have a good mix of history / good food / and relaxation, hopefully in nice weather!

We will arrive on a Friday evening around 7 p.m. and leave on Monday morning after breakfast. A few questions:

- Where is a good place to go for dinner convenient to The Marshall House upon arriving, probably around 8:15 on a Friday night? Something at least somewhat casual but good! It doesn't need to be cheap but just not super fancy. Would be nice if they took reservations just so we knew we wouldn't be in for a long wait, but it's okay if not.

- On Saturday, we want to do a walking tour of some kind. I am looking between Savannah Rambles, Southern Strolls, Noble Jones and Savannah Belle - or debating whether to do Savannah Taste Experience instead. We both enjoy food, but I don't know if it would be better to do a traditional walking tour to get the history - though it sounds like there is good history on the food tour, too. Would love to hear from someone who has done both to get an opinion.

- We were also thinking of potentially doing a cooking class at 700 Kitchen. Would that be too much if we did to the food tour? Worth the cost?

- Which ghost tour would you recommend? We plan to do that Sunday evening. I saw positive reviews for Blue Orb and Afterlife, and it looked like Boos and Brews could be fun.

- Breakfast / brunch spots that are worth checking out? (As far as restaurants go, we are definitely planning to go the Olde Pink House for dinner - but aside from that, just have a list of random places with positive reviews we need to delve through. If anywhere is a "must" - at any price level or food type - let me know. We were planning the Olde Pink House to be our nicest meal)

- Last but not least, what else you would you recommend - historical sites? unique shops?

If you have any other advice, it's greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance for your time.

Mentioned in this post
The Marshall House
The Marshall House
3,091 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah Rambles
Savannah Rambles
287 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Olde Pink House
Olde Pink House
2,416 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah Ghosts Paranormal Investigation Tour
Night Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Walking Tours
Blue Orb Savannah Ghost Tours
Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Old City Walks
Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Ghost Talk Ghost Walk
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Boston
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah - October

My suggestion is to maybe go much lighter on your schedule. The historic district is tons of fun to just walk around and if you are racing from one tour to the next class, you won't allow yourself to just take in the city at the quiet pace it deserves (IMHO). If you love it, you'll be back and will have time for everything you mentioned.

My restaurant suggestion would be to go to either BMathews on Bay Street or Clary's on Abercorn. Two very different places but both worth going to for breakfast. Old Pink House is nice and makes for a good choice for dinner.

When you are walking around, almost every building has some kind of placque on it and all the little parks have something historical written about them too. You can soak in a whole lot of history just by walking around. You will run into little shops too here and there, again, just by walking. And you will run into tons of little cafes and bars to eat at. Be sure to get the usual tourist map from the hotel and you will see that the HD is layed out in a grid so it's pretty easy to figure out where you are.

Maybe go down to River St, walk around the hourds of tourists and take the free ferry over to the Westin and back. On the River, you will then get a great view of the riverside of the city. I would NOT eat, personally, on River St, just too touristy and bland IMHO.

Another thing- with such a short visit, cancel the car if you are renting or just plan to park yours in whatever garage Marshall House uses. You won't want to try to use it around the HD since its all walkable and a bit of a pain to drive all of one block or so then re-park. Just not worth the frustrating effort.

Again, don't overplan, just plan to stroll and take it all in. Enjoy! We loved it so much on our first visit that we bought a house there for retirement someday!

Mentioned in this post
The Marshall House
The Marshall House
3,091 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah - October

Thanks so much! Appreciate the advice.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah - October

Agree with Karrieb on taking the time and walk the historic district. Practically every time we visit Savannah we take the Ogelthorpe Trolley Tour just to get a quick overview of the City. While every tour guide in Savannah has to complete a rigorous exam and be certified, each provides their own style of delivery. While you don't need the car for the downtown area, if you wanted to venture out to Bonaventure Cemetery or Fort Jackson or Fort Pulaski on the way out to Tybee you will definately need it then.

We have done the Hearse Ghost Tour a couple of times with guests and have enjoyed it both times. The only knock I have is that the seating area can be very tight if there are a number of people on the tour (but the operators will remind you the back of the hearse was only designed to hold 1 person). But fun drivers with great stories. Have heard others that have done one of the Blue Orb tours and they always got high marks.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Bonaventure Cemetery
Bonaventure Cemetery
5,513 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
202 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah - October

For dinner on your arrival evening, I'd suggest Persepolis, Circa 1875, or Sapphire Grill. All take reservations and you can go to any of them casually dressed. The bar at Circa is also an option if you want to be able to just walk in - you can get dinner served in the bar.

B Mathews is great for breakfast as recommended. Another option is Goosefeathers although there is usually a wait. Huey's on River Street has good beignets and the Pontchartrain omelet is amazing. I generally avoid River Street unless showing out of town guests around, but I'll brave the crowds for that omelet. If you're looking for a place to just relax and have a drink, both the Bohemian and the Cotton Sail hotel have cool bars.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Grill
Sapphire Grill
529 Reviews
Savannah, GA
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,402 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
145 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah - October

Savannah Dan is the best walking tour in savannah. The best ghost tour in my humble opinion is Blue Orb - book early. You cannot go wrong with The Olde Pink House for lunch or dinner. Try J. Christopher's for brunch or breakfast. Have fun in Savannah.

Mentioned in this post
Olde Pink House
Olde Pink House
2,416 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Albertville, AL
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah - October

Savannah is a place you don't have to plan anything..Just walk around and take everything in! I wouldn't even get a car unless yall are planning a trip to Bonnaventre..whigh recommend doing! We're going back in October for our anniversary. the only thing we're making plans for is where we def wanna eat!! Blue Orb is a great tour. The Haunted Pub crawls are fun if you like to drink! Take a trolley tour and get a feel for what you wanna go back and look at!

7. Re: Savannah - October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 07:15