We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally confused about areas and hotels

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Totally confused about areas and hotels

I am a female coming to the area for business but will be spending Oct 11, 12 and part of the 13th (Saturday, Sunday and day of Monday) playing tourist. I will more than likely be alone so my hotel and area choice is very important.

I would like to find a hotel that is within the historic area but I'm confused about North Historic and Historic. I need something very safe and would like to be able to walk to shops, restaurants and some attractions if possible. I do intend to do a trolley tour or something but I assume I can get that anywhere.

I am not all that fussy, I don't need wine and roses but if its a really fabulous place, I'll have no problem spending an extra buck or two.

So, where would you stay if it were you?

Thank you VERY much in advance. I certainly need your advice.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

To begin with.....There is no such section that is known as "North Historic District". There is just the Historic District, The Victorian District is adjacent.

savannahgetaways.net/Rental_Listings/…POI This is a good map of the HD. It's about 1 and a half miles from the river and about 1 mile wide...east to west.

Bull Street is the main street that splits the area into east and west. You can walk every where within this area. Just about all the hotels, restaurants, etc. are located there.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

I would suggest the Inn at Ellis Square or any hotel in the Immediate area.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

The Andaz would be your best choice. It has a public parking garage right below it, is adjacent to the City Market and within a short walking distance of the Welcome Center and also River Street. We have stayed there and I'm not much on walking but have covered the whole Historic District from there.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

There are several nice (and reasonable) hotels and Inns on East Bay. Location is fantastic. Maybe take a look at East Bay Inn.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

Thank you all for your help. I love the map! I am going to check these out right now because I have to make a reservation soon.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

East Bay isn't available :(

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

The Andaz is a bit pricey for me, especially after adding in parking

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

Staybridge Suites and Hampton Inn on East Bay Street are nice....close to East Bay Inn. Excellent location.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

Staybridge is booked. Trying Hampton now.

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Totally confused about areas and hotels

It seems that no matter what I look at, as long as I am in the Historic District I am looking at $500 for 2 nights plus parking. I have to admit that I am having "sticker shock".

I wanted to be in the area where I could walk to things but now I think I'm going to have to look elsewhere and drive into the area each day.

I know I want to do some tours and see the historic homes and maybe even some cute little shops. If I stay outside of the historic district and drive in, I can get a parking pass from the visitors center and hopefully still walk to the things I want to see and do.

This is hard! :(