We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Wells, Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

I am trying to decide to give the extra night (4 vs. 3) to Savannah or Charleston for a first-time visit to each. I was thinking more time might be needed in Charleston, but I'm not convinced yet. Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

More to do & see in & around Savannah.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Both are beautiful cities but I'd spend more time in Savannah. If you're a walker, there is no better place to walk and look. Even if you're not, there is no better place to sight see. We come to Savannah every chance we get. We've been to Charleston three times.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Honestly, I think 4 nights in either is plenty to see and do most of the must do's (really 2 days is enough), consider a side trip in the area. Maybe one of the barrier islands of GA.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Both are great. My preference would be Savannah, but if you posted on the Charleston forum, they'd probably tell you 5 nights in Charleston and 2 in Savannah. Perhaps do 3 each, and do the extra night in Beaufort, SC, which is in between the 2.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Beaufort
Beaufort
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Charleston is larger-- lots of plantations to tour, Patriots Point, etc-- spent a week in Charleston and did not get bored for a moment. On the other hand... stayed a week in Savannah and did not get bored there either :) I always gave a nod to Charleston for more "things to do" in the past having only spent a day or two in Savannah. Once I stayed in Savannah for a week, I give the nod to Savannah. It's quieter, slower and I just really loved wandering the squares every day/evening. Great food and great history in both places. You will not regret either place to be honest.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Agree with wings. Whatever you decide you cannot go wrong with your decision. Both are beautiful old southern cities with loads of history and good food.

Wells, Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

Thanks. I think we'll give the nod to Savannah since that was always our first travel intention.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
8. Re: Splitting a week bet. Savannah & Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16