We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

Oh, so many things I see and do in Georgia, and so little time!! There now is reason to visit this island in Nov. or in March - driving from our hotel in Savannah. Is it worth the visit - the hotel sites look so neat? Oh, how long of a drive is it from Savannah? Thanx

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

www.mapquest.com is a good place to get driving info.

Savannah GA to Saint Simons Island, GA

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 34 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 84.96 miles

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

It might take longer if you go Highway 17. But if you are interested in the History of that section of the Country, you might find it worthwhile to check out the Historical sites along the way.

There's an Old Museum, Church and Cemetery at Midway Ga. which dates back to the 1700s. Fort McAllister at Richmond Hill was built in the mid 1700s as a buffer to protect the new colony at Savannah from the Spanish coming up from Florida. There are also other old settlements along the way that are interesting. I won't claim that they are wildly exciting, just interesting if you are a History buff and happend to have time to stop and take a look.

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

Hwy 17 means an extra 3 miles and an extra 38 mins. 2hr 12 min vs 1hr 34mins for I-95.

Mapquest doesn't allow picking specific routes so I use a package called Delorme's Street Atlas. Handy for traveling with a laptop...just use a GPS unit and it will direct you anywhere you want to go.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

if you just want to get there i-95 south shouldn't take but a little over an hour. any slower and you'll get run over by the rest of the 85 mph traffic. darien is a nice place to visit with plenty of fresh seafood readily available and fort king george.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

Dyer---an hour and one half is a fair assessment. St. Simon's has a cute lighthouse/waterfront but the food isn't so exciting. Although at the front of that "strip" there is a place that kind of sells itself as a "country deli" of sorts. I found that to be the most local feeling place with a Southern fare worth its name.

While there, check out Fort Frederica which is a very unique place to Georgia and her history. Also has a great cemetery. The island's Christ Church is gorgeous and there is also a cool cemetery.

6. Re: Bbqman and Aileen 677 - how long of a drive is St. Simons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:18