We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in Savannah

Panama City, FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New Years in Savannah

My family will be staying 4 nights over New Years in Savannah at the Hyatt Regency. Would like some recommendations of recommended restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in Savannah

Define, "Walking Distance." One mile? Two Blocks?

I'm not trying to be funny, but we all have very different ideas about what is a reasonable distance to walk. Keep in mind that it may be chiily that time of year. So please don't overlook those places that would require a cab.

There are quite a few within several blocks of the Hyatt. Are you looking for any sort of speciality type food? Asian? Italian? Seafood?

Panama City, FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years in Savannah

Not a problem....I'm looking for restaurants within 4-5 blocks of the hotel. We have reservations a the "Old Pink House" on New Years Eve, but we're looking for some additional steak & seafood resturants, Japanese & sushi bars, and any good southern cooking restaurants.

NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years in Savannah

also looking for New year's Eve activity! Dining, bars, anything really. Most likely for 5 of us in our mid twenties. Thanks!

Savannah, GA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years in Savannah

I made reservations at the Olde Pink House for New Year'sEve. We just moved here last summer. I cancelled the reservation last week because some locals told me that the restaurant is way overpriced....and the kitchen is not clean. One of the people who told me not to go there used to work there. She said it just wasn't a clean kitchen. With all of the food issues lately, I thought it would be better safe than sorry.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years in Savannah

pwisehaddock---first and foremostly, just because you're near River Street, doesn't mean "eat on River Street." Good simple rule if you want to avoid the touristy schock. Incidentally, as far as food safety goes, The Old Pink House is your least place of worry---just in case that previous comment caused any. As to it being overpriced, well that's debatable since nearly everything in Savannah is because of where and what it is.

But let's talk about getting your money's worth on foot for four or five block distance shall we?

New Year's Eve fare should be festive in my mind, so if you want to eat well and celebrate, check out Jazz'D of Savannah. Colorful, festive, fun crowds and great live entertainment. Some of the area best these days.

Sushi Zen on Whitaker street offers some of the best sushi(and sake') this side of Japan. There's also a Thai place on Broughton Street near Bull St & right down from the Hyatt---name escapes me but its excellent. The Casbah Moroccan on Broughton Street is also an extremely fun and entertaining place with excellent food.

As to the Southern Food debate....well you may have to stretch your legs for more than 5 blocks to really find it and if you want specific knowledge, I'll be happy to reply if asked. Paula Deen's is certainly a sweet success story, but the business compromise is 3000 people a day dining there and quality control is sometimes an issue and is often talked about. So do you want to stand in line for extended periods just to gamble is really the question to ask yourselves.

If you're talking overall "Southern" food, then the odd thing is that you may have to walk further or drive. If you're after specific Southern fare and dishes, then its more of a discussion and is worth having. One sad truth of Savannah is that a place called Nita's was the true deal but didn't last the fight. But if you tell me a little more, I will do my best to steer you there.

Tallahassee
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years in Savannah

Are there any cool, off the beaten path, bars, jazz clubs, pubs that you recommend. We and another couple will be there for New Years as well. We came earlier in the year for a bachelorette party and hit Jazz'd, the piano bar, etc...and had a complete blast. But other suggestions are very much welcomed. We will be downtown at the Doubletree.

Thanks.

Hoover, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years in Savannah

Tubby's (river street) has the best Buffalo Shrimp around.....Vinnie Van Go Go's (City Market) has the best pizza........The Olde Pink House (Historic District) has great atmosphere, food, and a great pub down stairs.......Wild Wing Cafe (City Market) has great wings and pub food........The Lady & Son's (historic district) has great southern cuisine but go during the week and in the evening! Have a great time.....

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years in Savannah

Jen's & Friends for martinis, and either Pinkie Masters or Hang Fire for PBR tallboys or other beers.

Another place that not many people know about yet is B. Matthews for dinner-- they are a pretty popular lunch spot but they just opened for evenings. Go before the crowds converge on the spot, the food is excellent.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years in Savannah

Also, the Pink House is pretty reasonable for what you get-- a fine upscale Southern seafood or steak dinner. I paid $100 for me & a date, and that included a bottle of Reisling.

Mmmmm.... scallops and Reisling....

Kingston
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years in Savannah

I am staying at the Westin in Savannah for New Year's and was hoping that we would have been celebrating the New Year by attending their Masquarade Party, but I understand this year due to renevations of their ball room they will not be putting on a New Year's party, so can you tell me where close by there might be some place to be able to dance and party to bring in the new year?