We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah in March

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
729 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah in March

My husband and I will be planning a trip to Savannah during the last week of March. We are wondering about the weather - is it usually mild there that time of year? (it can still be pretty darn cold here!)

We would also like to stay in a BNB, but Savannah has so many to offer, we are unsure of where to begin. We would like some where that is moderately priced, has some where around 2-6 guest rooms, in the historic district (or within walking distance)and a feel of the Old South. We love BNB's but due to budget constraints will probably have to spend the first part of the week in a BNB and the last part in a hotel. Any suggestions for a BNB and hotel?

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah in March

The Catherine Ward House is right near Forsyth Park, a nice place and easy walk to the HD. Magnolia Inn is just the other side of the park. Check the reviews on this site, they should be a big help.

Weather is usually very nice end of march, can be cool but not likely cold. Azaleas should be popping out, a beautiful time of year to be here.

Check the reviews for a hotel as well that's a busy time here but they are building two new ones as we speak and two or three opened up this year so things are loosening up. If you find a couple that fit the budget and are in the HD we can help you with specifics.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
729 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah in March

Ok, we have booked a room at the Catherine Ward House for Mar 20-24. (we decided to forgo the hotel). Now...what are the must see attractions in Savannah? We thoroughly enjoy historical tours and esp. ghost tours. I have researched these some, but can you give a heads up on which ones are the best?

Also, is there a city market? What are the best places to head to for shopping? Thanks!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah in March

Be sure to see Ft Pulaski if you are interested in history, it has a bucketful.

Savannah is a walking town. Walk from the B&B over to Forsyth Park then head north at the end of the park in the center is Bull Street, just keep walking north there is lots to see and shop. Come back via Abercorn or Barnard, take lefts and rights in between, it is only a mile by a mile but the Historic district is full of shops and historical markers and beautiful buildings.

I would recommend against walking to your B & B late unless you are used to "city life". We live a half block away and walk all over at all hours but we are very aware and accustomed and I am big, so if you do walk be careful. Pedi-cabs will bring you out here for a tip and it is fun.

There are a number of good places to eat close by if you are interested, let me know, It's my 'hood.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
729 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah in March

Sounds good! We will def. check out those places! What is a pedi-cab. Recommendations on rest. would be great. (We esp love some good catfish!)

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah in March

Pedi-cab is a bike with a two seater cart behind. Mostly college kids haul you around for tips, no set rates.

Sweet leaf is an excellent smokey bbq place just a couple blocks north of your B&B on Abercorn.

Sentient Bean nice little coffee shop with Breakfast, lunch on the south end of the park close to Bull St.

Grocery store is just a couple blocks away as welll which is handy.

If you like BBQ be sure to find Angel's BBQ near Bull and Oglethorpe, best bbq and nicest owners in town. (Hello Andy and Aileen)

Catfish, hmmmm... maybe Ms Wilkes, or Lady and Sons.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah in March

Catfish? Maybe in some of the Home Cooking Restaurants. The local fish is flounder. Flounder is similar in texture to catfish and, in my humble opinion, better. Give it a try if you haven't tried it. Fresh flounder is great!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
729 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Savannah in March

I don't think I have ever tried flounder...I am looking forward to it! We both enjoy the theater very much; does Savannah offer a theater? Also, how long of a drive is to the beach (it doesn't matter which one). Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Savannah in March

The Beach is Tybee Island It's about 17-20 miles east of Savannah and an easy drive. If you go, you will go past Fort Pulaski, a civil war fort and well worth a stop.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Savannah in March

I have heard that the Savannah Theater, which now houses a "Jukebox Journey" or Broadway on Bull" show is very entertaining, I have never been.

We have plays, operas etc come thru keep an eye on savannahnow.com which is the local paper, you may be able to catch something good while you are here.

Check this out as well http://savannahmusicfestival.com The music festival will be going on while you are here. Get your tickets early they sell out fast for the big names.

Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Savannah in March

We just returned from a trip to Savannah (our first) and enjoyed it very much. Just a little note on Lady and Sons (or 2 Men and a Lady) as I think the actual name is...it is Paula Deen's restaurant and you have to stand in a long line just to make a reservation. If you are a local you can call in a reservation, but only if you are a local. (At least this is what I was told...) I preferred the pubs to Paula Deen's restaurant. But maybe someone on this forum knows more about this than I do.