We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return trip to Savannah

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Return trip to Savannah

Hi all - We will be making our second trip to Savannah on Friday. We are staying at the Catherine Ward House Inn and we're so excited!! We love Savannah's atmosphere, great downtown, and personal feel.

Since we've been to Savannah before, we'd like some ideas of other "locals"-type things to do and more "locals"-type places to eat. On our previous trip, we toured the squares (i'd do that again!), ate at The Lady & Sons, did a trolley tour, did a ghost tour, etc. -- all the typical tourist stuff. We also ate at several of the Frommer's tour book recommended places.

This trip, the only thing we have planned, so far, is a cooking class at the 700 Cooking School at the Mansion on Forsyth Park for Friday night. We'd really like to discover the 'locals' Savannah.

I've read some of the posts and have seen some of the recommended restaurants (Sapphire Grill, Angel's BBQ, Tantra, etc). We'd also like some great advice on some locals pubs.

Do you helpful experts have any advice? THANK YOU!!! and we'll see you in Savannah on Friday!! 4 more sleeps!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return trip to Savannah

The Mansion has a very nice bar that we enjoy, great live music.

Be sure to go to the Sentient Bean at the south end of the park, they have some excellent wierd music and stuff look here:

http://www.sentientbean.com/

Eat at Sweet Leaf, a couple blocks north of your inn on Abercorn.

Don't miss Angel's BBQ, say hi to Andy and Aileen (you shouldn't have any trouble deciding which is which)

kin Barry's on River Street, just west of the Hyatt has great Celtic music, sing along it is fun. Look here for more info:

http://www.kevinbarrys.com/

You better try Pinkie Masters, uyou haven't lived until you do. On Drayton just south of Liberty. Don't stay too long you'll get lung cancer.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return trip to Savannah

Sorry, It's Kevin Barry's my keyboard is freaking out.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return trip to Savannah

awesome!

we thought about staying at the Mansion, but opted for the Catherine Ward House when we found it. It has so many positive reviews on this site.

Thanks for the info!

Do you have any other dining choices? We may do a nice lunch or a nice dinner.

THANK YOU!!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return trip to Savannah

Local's pubs/bars:

Molly MacPherson's Scottish Pub (beer and single malts)

Moon River (in-house brew pub)

Jen & Friends (martinis)

Pinkie Masters (dive)

Hang Fire (musically-inclined dive)

Mercury Lounge (live music)

Hope I've helped.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return trip to Savannah

Lunch:

B. Matthews

Zunzi's

Express Cafe

Wright Square Cafe

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return trip to Savannah

You might want to drive out to Isle of Hope. First, visit Wormsloe Historic site and take a 30 minute walk on the trail through the woods and to the creek. By doing so, you will get to see a different landscape than what you are used to in North Carolina. We grow up around here running through the woods and crawling in the marsh muck!

After you enjoy Wormsloe, drive to the big Baptist Church on Rose Avenue, park in their lot, then walk down to the Skidaway River Bluff and walk the bluff.

You will think you are in heaven. There will be a few other people walking, probably no tourists but you.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return trip to Savannah

Thanks All ---

I grew up in South Georgia (Thomasville) so I always feel like I'm back home in Savannah...

I can't wait. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming, please!!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Return trip to Savannah

can't wait to check all of this out.

Can anyone comment on Firefly Cafe? It looks pretty interesting.

thanks!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Return trip to Savannah

The Firefly is always full of customers - many of them the locals - it is the perfect place that you are looking for. It's a nice cafe with tables outside. Lots of residents out walking their dogs stop there for a cup of tea and sit outside with their pooches.

10. Re: Return trip to Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 19:19