We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hope Someone Can Help

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hope Someone Can Help

We will be at Fort Chaffee for business in Apr. 2012. I am having a hard time figuring out which is the closest place to stay.

Is Fort Smith the closest?

Would like a Holiday Inn if possible.

Thanks for your help.

19 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

The town of Barling is where Chaffee officially is, but most everyone visiting Chaffee stays in accomodations in Fort Smith, which is just down the road. You will be looking for a hotel which is near the interstate. You mentioned you prefer the Holiday Inn brand. There is a Holiday Inn downtown but it is a longer drive from Chaffee and the road gets busy so I don't recommend it. I'd suggest the Holiday Inn Express which is near the interstate and closer to Ft Chaffee.

www.hiexpress.com

Holiday Inn Express : FORT SMITH EXECUTIVE PARK

6813 PHOENIX AVE FORT SMITH ARKANSAS 72903

Hotel Reservations : 1 877 834 3613 | Hotel Front Desk : 1-479-4527500

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

Thank you. That is the holiday Inn I was looking at. Another question. The drive time from the post, and the Holiday Inn? Is there heavy traffic? Are the roads good?

Thanks

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

10 or 15 minutes. You will spend more time trying to find your building on the base than it takes to get from Holiday Inn Express to Barling. A little traffic just around the hospital area at busy hours then easy driving to Barling.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

Thanks

I will be traveling with hubby, and will be spending my time in and around the hotel. Is it safe to walk around the area? Is there anything around like shopping?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

It is safe to walk around the area but it is not a particularly fun place to walk. Fast foods, businesses, etc. There is a fairly large shopping mall just minutes by car on the other side of the interstate. There is an excellent community health club at the nearby hospital with which the last hotel I stayed in had an arrangement. You might check with the Holiday Inn Express people about the hospital health club policy if you are interested. Downtown Fort Smith has a National Historic Site if that may interest you:

Fort Smith National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

www.nps.gov/fosm/

My favorite place to walk around is the nearby historic downtown of Van Buren, Arkansas, particularly if you like antiques and small shops.

Van Buren, Arkansas

www.vanburen.org/

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

For this trip he will be working 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week, so not much running around. he will also have the rental, so no luck there for me.

Do you know if there is a travel agency in Fort Smith, that I could take a bus tour or something?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

Cab service is available and runs in the $5 range for such routes as from Holiday Inn Express to the mall.

Hampton Inn which is in the same area as Holiday Inn Express offers free van service to locations within five miles of the hotel during most daylight hours:

Fort Smith, Arkansas - AR - Hampton Inn Hotels

www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml…

6201-C Rogers Avenue Fort Smith, AR 72903

(479) 452-2000

I have not heard of a guided tour service, but I have emailed "Miss Laura's Visitor Center" in downtown Fort Smith to see if there is such service available. You might also enjoy talking to them. They have much pride in their tourism work:

Miss Laura's Visitors Center - Fort Smith, AR

fortsmith.org/visitors/welcome-center.aspxMi… Laura's Social Club a former bordello now Fort Smith Arkansas Visitors Center. National Register of Historic Places.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

You sure are being helpful, and I so appreciate it.

We are now talking about booking with Candlewood Suites. It is difficult to figure out which is closer to post. Do you know?

Also the mall across from Candlewood. Is it the Central Mall?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

These hotels are all in the same general vicinity and very close to Chaffee. Some are on one side of the interstate and others just on the other side. None except the downtown hotels like Holiday Inn Center City are far from Chaffee.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hope Someone Can Help

Katie~ Why not drive your hubby back and forth to Chaffee then YOU can have the car. You could then go over to historic Van Buren and farther small day trips. Or consider renting yourself a car for a day or two.

Reply to: Hope Someone Can Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Smith
More Fort Smith Topics