We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe couple hours late at night?

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
safe couple hours late at night?

I'm could be arriving at FSM close to 10pm, but my travel buddies aren't showing up till 2-4am. Any tips on where to while away a couple hours at that time on a Friday nite? The airport closes at 11pm.

8 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

Call Razorback Cab at 479-783-1118 (suggest you call before your flight and make contact/reserve your cab) then have them take you to Roosters on the Avenue Blues Bar at 801 Garrison in downtown Ft Smith. My info shows them open Fridays from 3 pm till 5am, but I'd call them after 3 when they open and double check that for the night you plan to be there.

Fort Smith

801 Garrison Ave Fort Smith, AR 72901

Rooster's Blues Bar

(479) 783-2625

Dinner, Late

$$$$ Pub Food

Live Music

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

BTW, Roosters is only for over 21.

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

Hey Jimjade, thanks for the insider tip!

Another option is to somehow get to Mt. Ida and stay there - I couldn't find any public transit though. Is a cab the only option?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

Mt Ida? Man, that is in the boondocks, way way the heck away from Fort Smith. Another option, depending on your budget, might be to rent a hotel room at Homewood Suites near the Ft Smith Airport and get a good night's sleep and have your buddies pick you up the next morning!

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

Yah, I'm looking at a budget hotel as a backup, since I'd only be there for 3-4 hours...

How about a 24h coffee shop/diner, or even a truck stop to make the pickup convenient?

Edited: 11 May 2014, 06:51
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

Check this place out. It's less than 5 miles from the airport - 7 minutes by car.

Short Stop Truck Stop

Open 24 Hours

3401 Cavanaugh Rd, Fort Smith, AR 72908

(479) 646-8186

and this 24 hr Waffle House 7 miles away from the airport and just a 10 minute drive by cab

Waffle House

https://www.wafflehouse.com/

Waffle House

US chain. Lists menu in PDF format, locations, job opportunities, company history and franchise information.

Google+ page · Be the first to review

9009 U.S. 71, Ft Smith, AR 72908

(479) 646-2050

Edited: 11 May 2014, 13:05
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

Awesome, thanks a bunch for all of the information! I've got a few options, let's just hope my flight gets in on time. =)

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe couple hours late at night?

I've lived in "the Fort" for 38 years. As a rule of thumb, the further North and West, the seedier and higher crime potential. The further East and South, the nicer and safer the neighborhoods.

Yes, there are several good bars and nightclubs on Garrison Ave, Towson Ave and South side, but those are across town from the airport. The city has a public shuttle transit service, but is definitely closed by 7 p.m. Your closest and safest option is taking a rental car or taxi to I.H.O.P. at S. 79th and Rogers Ave and hang out there. It's open 24/7 and well-lighted. The Waffle House on Rogers was closed and demolished. The one on Hwy 71 South is okay but kinda out of the way from the airport. Short Stop truck stop changed names and ownership to Jam Mart/Valero and is near that Waffle House. It's relatively safe and has booths to hang out, but it's across town from the airport and usually boring and not busy at night. There are several good hotels near the airport. I can personally vouch for Homewood Suites since I've stayed there. Wonderful rooms and they serve drinks and food at breakfast and dinner time, but costs about $100 a night. The nearest budget motels are AmericInn, Baymont and Motel 6, which are West on Rogers Ave at Ellsworth Rd.

Reply to: safe couple hours late at night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Smith
More Fort Smith Topics