We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

Which Fredericksburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

How reasonable is it for us to think of driving to D.C. 2-3 times during our weeks stay in Fredericksburg? Where is the best metro to catch along the way? Also, what are the best local historical sights to see in Fredricksburg? We are considering a vacation home in Lake of the Woods...has anyone visited this place?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,656 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

I would say the main historical site in Fredericksburg is the Fredericksburg National Battlefied Park. For details on the park, see: http://www.nps.gov/frsp/index.htm

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

Hello. Instead of driving to DC you could always take the VRE, the Virginia Rail Express. Check out their website for details. As for Fred'burg, there is a very nice historical walking tour downtown including the Hugh Mercers (Friend of Georges and Revolutionary War General) Apothacary shop, the Rising Sun Tavern(owned by Georges brother), the Mary Washington House(his mom), and beautiful Kenmore, home of his sister and it has one of the 100 most beautiful rooms in America. Right across the river is the colonial mansion Chatham, and very near to that is the George Washington boyhood home site with a beautiful view of the river. If you are interested in the Civil War, in addition to the Fredericksburg battlefield, there is Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Court House battlefields very close to town. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 01:19
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

Another vote for taking the VRE. It is a commuter train, so it runs a schedule with peak commuter times, so don't think you can catch a train at 10:30 in the morning then come back at 8:00 P.M. But for getting to D.C. and back for the day, it is a no-brainer.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

My favorite historic landmark is Carl's ice cream. Custard comes out the old timey machines. Don't be fooled by the long lines...it goes fast! I believe F'burg has a historic pass that will let you into several of the historic places downtown for one price. If the VRE doesn't have the times you want to travel to DC, look into Amtrak. You could also drive to Springfield (mall area) then park and take the Metro, but you will still run into heavy traffic on I95 depending on what time of day you are traveling. It is heavy most all the time.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

Thank you all for your replies...I am working on the plans.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

Be aware that the D.C. area overall, has the second-worst traffic congestion in the nation, according to annual Amer.Auto.Assoc. rankings for the past several years. And I-95 got even worse last year, with the 6,400 additional employees relocated to Fort Belvoir. I would only attempt driving the full 55+ miles if it were a Saturday, or Sunday. Also be advised that Metrorail suburban parking lots (such as at Springfield) fill-up VERY early on weekday mornings (Mon - Fri's).

Edited: 17 March 2012, 04:23
La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

You will find a bunch of peoples' comments about "Lake of the Woods" if you click here http://www.city-data.com/forum/Virginia

and in the search box click on "Advanced Search" then type the phrase "Lake of the Woods" and in the drop-down box specify just "Virginia". (because there is a completely different Lake of the Woods in Minnesota).

Edited: 17 March 2012, 06:36
Fredericksburg VA
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

Our fav restaurant in the burg is Sammy T's. Its on caroline street. Its a vegetarian place. Must try the campers special with lemon tahini sauce.

For pricier french food try la petite in downtown. I have only been for lunch, but have heard there steaks are good.

Dont drive to dc-traffic is horrible. Try richmond, much easier to get around, traffic normal, museums less crowded

9. Re: D.C. drive??? and local hotspots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg