We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Hi all

We are flying into Dulles airport from the UK on the 19th September to start our mini roadtrip down to our holiday home in Florida. Our first stop is Fredericksburg where we hope to look round both the old town as well as the battlefields. I have found loads of useful info on the forum but I am up to suggestions on the best route from Dulles to Fredericksburg - we will be staying at one of the hotels off the I-95. Our flight arrives at 13.10 we have to clear customs etc and pick up our rental car.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
830 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Hello. Considering that it will be at least 1430-1500 by the time you have your rental, which is just the start of our horrible rush hour, I would suggest you not use the interstate highways initially. Instead you could take route 28 south, easily accessed from Dulles, which eventually will bring you to route 234. Head towards Montclair/Dumfries/Triangle, and eventually you will pick up Interstate 95 about 20 miles north of Fred'burg. If you did take Interstate 495 to Interstate 95 from the airport it could take you 2.5-3 hours to make the trip to the 'Burg. Go to www.viamichelin.com for great driving directions and map. Hope this helps, safe trip, and enjoy the 'Burg, which is a great place to visit.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Many thanks for the information and the website which will come in very handy for our trip.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

I concur with the previous post....you'll likely want to avoid I-95 South out of the DC, Northern Virginia area at that time. Additionally, there are several construction zones southbound on I-95 from DC through Richmond that will slow down your travel in the evening times (if you are traveling during those times).

I'd suggest you check the Transportation Departments website for specific (and live up-to-date traffic conditiions) when you travel on I-95. See 511virginia.org or you can call the automated telephone # for the same information 511 is the number.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Thanks for that. After reading other posts on both here and the Williamsburg forum I had come to the conclusion that it was best not to travel on the I-95 due to the same reasons but after everybodys help which is greatly appreciated we feel much happier and are looking forward to our visit. I know that we will not be in a rush to get anywhere but even so you do not want to be stuck in heavy traffic.

Thanks again to you both.

Fredericksburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

From Dulles to Fredericksburg: highway 28 S. to I64W. Briefly I64W to 234/Prince William Parkway (traffic will be heavy, but it's only a few miles). 234 south and east to 28. 28 west to 17, 17 south and east to highway 1 just before Fredericksburg. This route should take 2 to 3 hours. You can stay on 28 all the way to 17, but you'll have to slog though miles of urban traffic.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Thank you William K for your detailed route it is much appreciated.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Note that NurseDude and William K have given you different routes and that NurseDude has you on I95 for roughly 20 miles. You'll be arriving on a Wednesday, which is a lot better than trying to navigate southbound 95 on a Friday afternoon.

But if you don't mind a more round about, probably more scenic route, I think I'd go with William K's version. Traffic can be bad even just north of F'burg on 95.

You said your hotel is just of 95 - which exit? We can give more detailed instructions on how to reach the hotel once you hit the "Burg. And if you can spare the time, spend some time in downtown or touring the Civil War battlefields!

Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

We take 28south straight through to 17. The traffic through Manassas isn't that bad IMO. Its a pretty, rural route on 28 once you get through Manassas. Enjoy your holiday.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Thank you everybody for taking the time to give us your invaluble knowledge. We will be staying on Warrenton Road and we do prefer a more scenic route. Any route that is not going to have us stuck in lots of traffic is going to be a godsend as we will be leaving home at 5am (uk time) so around midnight of the night before. We intend doing the civil war battlefields before we move on to Williamsburg.

Thanks again everybody.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dulles airport to Fredericksburg

Warrenton Road IS Route 17, so that will be quite convenient for you! And I personally like the 28 to 17 route suggested by wrengirl, but haven't traveled 28 up to Dulles in awhile. But I travel the 17 to 28 part often, and you shouldn't have any issues there. Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg