We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fredericksburg / Lexington visit

Which Fredericksburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bracebridge, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fredericksburg / Lexington visit

My wife and I plan to visit Gettysburg soon and then head down to Fredericksburg and Lexington to visit some of the civil war sites. I am looking for any tips that any of you may have as far as travel, lodging, or things to see.

Thank you,

John

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fredericksburg / Lexington visit

We were in Lexington about a month ago and stayed at the Comfort Inn Virginia Horse Center. It's located right off I-81, so it's convenient, but it was also quiet. I'm very sensitive to noise and nothing woke me that night. The room was clean and comfortable and the rate was excellent. I would stay at this hotel again.

If you have time, drive from Lexington to Bedford, Virginia. The drive takes about an hour and is quite scenic (you'll cross the Blue Ridge Parkway). Bedford is the home of the National D-Day Memorial, which is well worth a visit. You get your tickets at the Bedford Welcome Center which has a good film and some excellent exhibits, so plan to spend some time there too.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fredericksburg / Lexington visit

Hello. You have many choices for your drive from Gettysburg to Fred'Burg. You could visit either Harpers Ferry, the Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg Maryland, or drive straight to Frederick Maryland and visit the Monocacy battlefield, which is just a few miles south of town. When you leave for Lexington, you could take route 3 out to Culpeper and visit Brandy Station, which is just north of town. From there take beautiful route 29 to Charlottesville, take the interstate to Staunton, and then head south to Lexington. Fred'burg has a number of lodging options, from chain hotels to a very nice B&B downtown. Almost any cuisine you can think of is also available in or near the "Burg. For excellent trip and route advice go to www.viamichelin.com. Also go to www.civilwartrails.com for some more ideas concerning the civil war. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 12:43
Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fredericksburg / Lexington visit

Hi John , I hope you have a Great Adventure. This is the route I would take from Gettysburg: I-81 or US 11 south to Winchester, Va (check the info on Winchester in Tripadvisor) continuing south to Strasburg, VA( Cedar Creek Battlefield and Belle Grove Plantation) and onward to New Market, Va ( Battlefield and Visitors Center, if you are going to Lexington, Va you might as well find out what made VMI famous) Continuing south on either I-81 or US 11, I would stop in Staunton, Va and visit the Frontier Culture Museum and check out Beverly St. I would then continue onward to Lexington, Va. Lexingtone is the home of Virginia Milatary Institure and Washington and Lee University.( I think that Robert E. Lee is buried in the Chapel of Washington and Lee). It is also the home of the George C. marshall Museum. After Lexington, Va I would return to Staunton, VA and Take I-64 to Charlottesville, Va. ( a nice 15-20 min stop is in Raphine, Va to visit the Cyrus Mc Cormick Farm, Which is where the !st mechanical reaper was invented). In Charlottesville I would Visit Thomas Jeffersons Monticello, James Monroes" Ashlawn-Highlands, and the University of Virginis Rotunda and Lawn Historic Michie Tavern is also good. Continueing on, take I-64 to Richmond, Va. The Capitol of the Confederacy (why come all this way and not see it? )

Must See places in Richmond, Va are, The Virginia State Capitol, The Whitehouse of the Confederacy, The Virgiia Museum of Fine Art. The Valetine Museum, Tredagar Iron Works,(Richmond National Battlefield Park Hq.) Drive the Battlefield Route and see Fort Brady, Fort Harrison, Malvern Hill Battlefield, The Seven Days Battle locations, Cold Harbor ( Deadiest 15 minutes of the American Civil War) The Watt house, The Battle of Gains Mill, The Battle of Mechanicsville. Not Civil War related are St. Johns' Church (Patrick Henrys "Give Me liberty or give me death" speach, The Edgar Allen Poe Shrine. and a whole lot more. If you have the time Visit the Petersburg National Battlefield,( 30 minutes south of Richmond) known as the Battle of the Crater.

I would then take I-95 north to Fredericksburg. Visit the Frededricksburg Balllefield, (downtown across the river) ,Chancellorsville Batllefield on Rt 3 west of the city about 15 minutes. The Battle of the Wilderness ( west on Rt. 3 then south on Rt. 20. about 25 minutes) I would then Take Us. 17 north to Rt. 29 North to Manassus and visit the Battlefield. From this point on it is up to you with what you see next. Hope that this helps. It tried to keep it the the American Civil War, but some early American History and Presidents sneaked in. Hope that this Info. along with the pervious members info. helps you decide the route and sights you and your wife wish to see.

4. Re: Fredericksburg / Lexington visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg