We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

Hi everyone:

I know these are two separate locations. My time is limited and I was thinking I could visit the grave one day, and then the Shrine on my way out of town Saturday morning. It sounds like I should be able to visit Ellwood during the week, but not inside the house. I'm okay with that ~ I'm interested in visiting the grave.

Is Ellwood really open during the week for visiting the grounds outside?

Thanks for your replies :)

jc

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
827 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

Hello. It really depends on what time of year you visit, as sometimes even the grounds to Ellwood and the Shrine are not open. You should be able to contact the Fredericksburg visitor center by going to the national park website at www.nps.gov, and then look for Fredericksburg. If you can't send an e-mail, they should at least give the phone number. In addition to visiting the sites you mentioned, also go to www.civilwartrails.org for info on all the sites around this area, which are very many. Hope this helps, and enjoy your visit.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

I just want to say I think its great you know that Stonewall Jackson s arm has its own grave! Its easier to find now, years ago there was just a teensy sign and you drove down this cornfield. I have been there in years. Also recommend the civil war trails site. many of the roads are still in use, some with little change in route since the civil war.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

Thank you! Yes, I do know about Stonewall Jackson's arm ~ I won't be able to go down to his grave as its too far south, so I will visit his arm. I know that sounds silly, but I've become a big fan of Stonewall Jackson's this past year with all my studying.

The Visitor Bureau's book said I need a pass to go on the Ellwood grounds and to get it at the Chancellorsville Visitor Center. It also says that the Ellwood grounds are open every day from sunrise to sunset, weekends through October. I will be there the last week in September so hopefully, it'll still be open.

I will check out that website you mentioned. Thanks so much ~

jc

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

Oh my gosh what an awesome website! Thanks for the tip!

jc

5. Re: Ellwood ~ Stonewall Jackson's Arm Grave and Shrine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 12:15