We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Malls

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Malls

I tried to search but couldn't find an answer. My granddaughter is getting married 12/31 in Houston and moving to Fairbanks where her husband is stationed. Are there any major retailers in Fairbanks like Best Buy, Pennys, etc? I was wondering if it would be easier to order some of their wedding gifts for pick up at a store in Fairbanks.

I worked in Anchorage but have never been to Fairbanks. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

10 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Malls

There is a large Walmart, a Sears, an REI, and an Old Navy. Those come quickly to mind. Target was scheduled to come a few years ago but never made it. No longer a Penneys.

United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Malls

Forgot to mention Sam's Club.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Malls

Thanks, I heard the. Nearest Target was 7-hours away. I was hoping for Macy's, Pennys, Sears. I guess they will just have to figure out how to pack it all up, the Army will move 1500 lbs for them.

United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Malls

There is a pretty big Sears store.

Target didn't make it yet. There was a lot of discussion about 8 years ago but then they decided not to pursue Fairbanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Malls

What are you wanting to get them? You could always get them gift certificates to the stores that are in Fairbanks.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Malls

I wanted to get her a good microwave, not the $79.00 ...700 watt one she registered for at Target.😊

I was just looking for options that would keep them from trying to pack everything. They are shipping a bedroom set which will take up alot of their 1500 lb allotment.

Thanks for your help.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 21:18
United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Malls

For things like microwaves, I'd try Sears or Home Depot in Fairbanks. I didn't even mention Home Depot in my original reply because I didn't realize you were thinking of small appliances.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Malls

We have Sams club, Walmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot and Fred Meyer besides Sears.

As well with the military, they will have plenty of opportunities to buy slightly used furniture from other military families leaving the state. :)

Edited: 19 November 2017, 22:15
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping Malls

Things to think about...

- Sears - this store/retailer/chain is not long for our world

- though you may be saving them bringing something up; don't forget they will be moving again and they'll have to move it then.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping Malls

Fred Meyer's is part of the Kroger chain and has home goods & appliances along with groceries.

Reply to: Shopping Malls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted