We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Fairbanks

London, England
3 posts
Save Topic
Winter in Fairbanks

I'm heading to Fairbanks for New Year? Any recommendations (apart from several layers of wooly clothing?

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

One big suggestion is some really good boots with good traction. It can be very slippery walking around up there and snow is everwhere so boots are a must. Definitely a good winter hat or if you are not comfortable wearing one, earmuffs work almost as good. Obviously you need a good coat/mitts/scarf... normal essential winter gear. In Fairbanks what you wear under your winter gear makes no difference whatsoever.

London, England
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Thanks for that. The first prob will be getting there (to Fairbanks) We'll be flying into Anchorage on 27 Dec and being on a slight budget had thought of taking a bus up to Fairbanks. Found a website about Parks Express Service which apparently runs a weekly service during the winter, including one hopefully the next day. Any advice on that score would be appreciated? We're staying in Fairbanks until New Years, hoping to "pop" over to Chena Springs, and to experience North Pole. Again this will all be dependent on ease of public transport and danger of frost bite. The main reason for going there is the Northern Lights as well as the nightlife (is there any at -14C?) Will be returning to Anchorage and will have about a week to play with. Any advice realistically on what we could do with that week. Had thought of heading down the the Seward Peninsula. The main boxes we want to tick for that part of trip are glacier and avoiding frostbite!!

I see you're from Anchorage? What would you recommend we see and do in your home town?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Yes there are decent clubs in Fairbanks, I guess no one even thought you'd want to go out at night. Cheap Charly's (if it's still open) is a rock club and there was one over on the Steese Hwy too. Its a university town so lots of kids and you know they are gonna dance.

Have Fun

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Just in case this is read by anyone else on their way up here in winter, yes it matters very much what you wear under your outdoor gear. Polypropalene under garments, fleece, etc. is important. No cotton socks. You need either wool, or synthetics. Layers are important. If you are going to be spending any amount of time out doors, it will make the difference between being able to and not. Then again, at -50, no matter what you are wearing, it's just plain cold! Anchorage has much more mild temps then Fairbanks.

portland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Even if you are on a limited budget, you might want to consider flying between Anchorage and Fairbanks at least on way. It is a 6-8 hour drive in a car. As beautiful as Alaska is in winter, spending 2 days of your trip in a bus or car is a good part of your trip.

Plus remember there is only about 6 hours of light each day that time of year.

The Hot Springs are nice, I worked there years ago when it was owned by the state. If you want to see the northern lights, it is one of the better places around. To stay the night is pretty expensive though. A better idea is to stay a Angel Creek six miles down the road. Cabins are 1/2 the price and it is a real Alaskan experience (no bathrooms in rooms and a couple of cabins are wood stove heat).

Have Fun!!

portland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Also failed to mention. Public transportation is almost non existant. You really should rent a car unless you want to take a taxi everywhere. You can rent a car for around $200US. Even though it is a bit of money, it will make you vacation so much more enjoyable.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Actually Fairbanks has a very good public transportation system in town.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

And in the winter, you can ride the bus for free. I think from Sept. to March.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

Theres a really fun bar called Blue Loon in ?Ester? just outside of Fairbanks. My sister lives in Fairbanks & I used too, (will never live there again however!) I'm a beach person & hate the cold up there. If your over by Cowles Street go into Party Palace & meet Sparkels the clown (aka Lori) She's great!! The Northern Lights are awesome to see though. Don't let anyone talk you into "yelling at them" to get them to move...ha ha ha. Locals like to tell ya that. Enjoy yourself up there in "No man's land"

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
117 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter in Fairbanks

we just got back from our honey moon. Wonderful time!!! the fall colors were AMAZING!!! We flew into Anchorage and drove to Fairbanks stopping one night in Talkeetna. We also went to Hot Chena Sprins...the hot lake is cool, the place is dirty!!! I don't know about the cabins. We left from Fairbanks. Spent 3 nights there just to be able to see the northern lights but that didn't happen!!! :( it was cloudy all the time. Well a good reason to go back another time :) Enjoy your time!!!