We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay March '08

stamford CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay March '08

I am traveling by myself early March to see the aurora, Can anyone recommend a safe place for a woman? Do you think it will be too cold to bring my daughter with me? She is only 11! Thanks a lot!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,261 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay March '08

Hello and welcome to the forum. There are several good/safe hotels to stay at in Fairbanks, though since they are all in the city, you will not be able to see the Aurora - you will need to go out of town for that. Many folks stay at the Chena Hot Springs resort - I haven't been there myself, so I can't tell you about that. Hopefully, our Fairbanks expert will reply.

Here are some good hotels in Fairbanks: Princess, Pikes Landing, Comfort Inn, Springhill (Marriot), Westmark, and a few others. If you are bringing your daughter, you might want to stay where there is a pool: Springhill, Comfort or Extended Stays. I prefer the Springhill, as all rooms are suites, having a fridge, microwave and cont. breakfast.

It will be your decision as well as warm clothes should be the determining factor in coming to Alaska in the winter. Sometime March can be fairly nice - last winter, it was cold - staying between -20 & -40 for about the entire month. You need to be prepared for extreme cold. But the aurora, when it appears, is amazing! Good luck with your planning! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay March '08

I would highly recommend that you contact Dale and Jo View Suites. You can see the aurora from this Great B&B. It is very safe and your daughter would be very welcomed.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay March '08

Will you have a rental car? If not, then you should check our some of our many B&Bs. Many will come pick you up from the airport. You need to be out of town to be able to see the lights as the light pollution from in town makes it very difficult. Also March is when we host the World Ice Art Championships so you should book early as we get people from around the world. Make SURE to bring your 11 year old to the ice park. You'll both enjoy not only the ice sculptures but the ice park which is for kids. http://icealaska.com/

stamford CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay March '08

Thanks for replying!

No I will not rent a car ... I'm afraid to drive on ice/snow. Do you know if Fairbanks has a business that transports tourists to good aurora viewing areas in the middle of the night?

dfw
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay March '08

I have not been there but I read on the internet that the Aurora Borialis Lodge will pick you up from your hotel to their place inside the lodge to view the lights for 65.00 per person.

6. Re: Places to stay March '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 16:20