We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks March 2008

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fairbanks March 2008

I'm just getting caught up on a lot of my travel reading and journaling and realized that I had completely neglected TA for the past six or eight months :(

I was in Fairbanks 3/13-3/21 this year. The aurora was outstanding on the second night we were in town, but it was cloudy for the next several nights and once it was clear skies at night, there was no solar activity to prompt the aurora.

It was a wonderful trip for the North American Sled Dog Championships, but not so much for the Int'l Ice Art due to high temps the week before we got there.

All in all, this was a nice trip, but not the best as my March 2007 visit provided numerous aurora viewings and with the temps below zero for weeks before my arrival, the ice art was beautiful!

I know I won't be going to Fairbanks in 2009 but I am already planning for 2010. Bring on the solar maximum!

Von

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairbanks March 2008

Solar activity was low this year in general. I'm glad you got to see them at least once though. I have several video clips of the North American if you would like to see them. You might have to click on the link to "see all videos" as I just added a few that knocked them onto the second page.

http://youtube.com/user/1stimestar

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairbanks March 2008

Very cool videos of the NA Championships. I'm pretty sure I can pick me and my friends out from the first day up on Second (we were down in front of the old theater/ice museum). I was luck enough to have some photos that were pretty decent, including several of the winner Egil Ellis. He used this one for his personal post card this summer for his business :)

…picturetrail.com/VOL284/…308932051.jpg .

I have several photo "albums" on PictureTrail.com including some from the NA Open, Auroras and some other neat stuff:

http://www.picturetrail.com/heidismomma .

Von

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairbanks March 2008

You have some great aurora photos. I especially love that they have not been altered in photoshop. And your IgoUgo Nature Photo of the Year (2007) is absolutely gorgeous! I haven't gotten around to learning my camera well enough to take aurora photos yet but it is on my list of things to do this winter.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairbanks March 2008

Thanks 1stimer. I bought my DSLR just for our trip to AK back in June06 but really had to learn how to use it for manual photography for the aurora photos the following March.

I found a lot of great resources on the internet, including this one from Kevin McCarthy up in North Pole: www.northpolegallery.com/news_show.aspx… . He was most helpful in preparing for the trip.

I need to get up another album on PictureTrail with photos from this past March08 trip to Fairbanks. While there was only one night that we got to see and photograph the aurora, it was truly a spectacular show and I got some pretty decent photos including the one that I entered into the IA State Fair this summer.

Von

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairbanks March 2008

LOL I just went back to my PictureTrail albums and see that I did post some photos from this past March's aurora viewing . . . I forgot :(

6. Re: Fairbanks March 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 11:20