We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

One item that I find especially expensive in the supermarket in Alaska is bread.

Does anyone know of any discount bakery shops in Fairbanks? Places like Wonder or Master Bakery have outlets for discounted bakery items here in the lower 48. Just wondering if something like that exits in Fairbanks.

Thanks.

John

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

Good morning Mr Frugal

Yes, bread is really expensive here.....when we go to Juneau or Anchorage we usually find "day-old" bakery racks in the Fred Meyers stores (probably any store that has its own bake shop)....the rack is usually located well away from the baked goods, the one in Juneau is back in the meat section.....Welcome back to Alaska, hope you have a marvelous trip !!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

Thanks mombear (I resemble that Mr. Frugal remark!).

I will definitely look and ask. I usually pay under $1/loaf of bread here for the day-old stuff (still not outdated). But I have paid $4 for a decent loaf of bread in Alaska!

People talk about the cost of produce in AK - heck, I paid less per pound for tomatoes in AK the last two trips than I pay here at the supermarket in MN!

John

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,568 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

I love the Mr. Frugal comment! :) and that is exactly why John can travel so much - saves his $$ for the important things of life - travel!

Yes, I usually pay over $4 for a loaf, and when I was in Soldotna this summer, there is a fabulous bakery there - the Moose is Loose. Anyhow, I was going to buy one of their incredible loaves of bread, but it was about $8 a loaf. Now I am use to high prices, but I just couldn't quite justify that one! However, I did buy their cinnamon rolls - and I don't even look at the price - they are amazing! :)

John - I can't think of a discount bread place . . . but as mombear suggested, most of the grocery stores do have that hidden section. Good luck! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

We do have a discount bread store. It's off Phillips Feild Rd. on the north side of the road. Right by were all the Lay's trucks are parked.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

There is a store in Fairbanks. It has WonderBread, Orowheat, Hostess products, and others items. It is in the Railroad Industrial Area off Peger Road: 1851 Fox Ave. Phone is 456-7088. Great Store!!

Fairbanks
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

Not to be beating Wally-World's drum, but the Fairbanks Wal-Mart has fairly inexpensive bread products...can't recall what a standard loaf is, but Hot Dog & Hamburger Buns are only a buck.

7. Re: Store for discount bread and bakery products in Fairbanks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 06:17