We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

california
6 posts
Save Topic
best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

Can anyone recommend a good service for flightseeing to Fort Yukon. There seem to be many to choose one. How early do I need to reserve a seat if I'll be there June 22, 2010?

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

My I inquire why Fort Yukon?

In my opinion, unless you have a burning desire to see Ft. Yukon, there are better places to do a flight seeing trip, (no disrespect meant to Ft Yukon).

Anaktuvuk Pass for example or Denali from Talkeetna.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

Sorry I ran out of "edit time" befor I finished:

My I inquire why Fort Yukon?

In my opinion, unless you have a burning desire to see Ft. Yukon, there are better places to do a flight seeing trip, (no disrespect meant to Ft Yukon).

Anaktuvuk Pass for example or Denali from Talkeetna.

You could do a Ft. Yukon / Anaktuvuk Pass flight seeing trip. (That would be expensive as I think you would have to charter that trip).

Both Anaktuvuk Pass and Ft. Yukon have scheduled flights from Fairbanks. May not be as scenic as a charter but not as expensive.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

I do all the village travel for my job and use Wright's the most often as the cheapest. http://www.wrightair.net/

california
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

It's gotta be Fort Yukon. Dad flew in and out of there in the 50s. Sentimental.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

While I was in Fairbanks this August I met a retired couple who drive to Alaska every summer; this was their 2nd trip with Warbelows. She was very enthusiastic about them.

warbelows.com/tours/summertours.html#summer2

Edited: 30 November 2009, 03:40
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

>>>It's gotta be Fort Yukon. Dad flew in and out of there in the 50s. Sentimental.

If you have a few old pictures from back then, take a copy along with you and be sure to talk to a few of the people up there! If he was working on the radar site - White Alice communication site, then ask about the village for the fellows now operating the modern site - where the radar & communication sites were operated by hundreds, the modern ones are often operated by a handfull of people, and Fort Yukon has perhaps two that live in the village and maintain the radar site.

The village has changed a lot since those old days, but a few decades ago a few of the old buildings from the gold rush days were still standing. Ask about them as well. I was up there in the early 80's lengthening the runway. I was visited by my favorite uncle and my mother & the three of us got to fly back to Fairbanks on a DC-3, the last of many flights on that aircraft for the uncle and the first for me. It is quite a nice aircraft! Call around and ask if any of the air carriers are flying one these days. They change aircraft on occasion, and there may be one flying again.

Warbelows has an excellent reputation, but then I could just about say that about most of the airlines, Wright included.

If this touches on old times when your father worked up there, drop a line privately, I may be able to offer more information or contacts.

7. Re: best flightseeing to Fort Yukon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 06:22