We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

Which is the better of the trip in regards to: road conditions/lodging mostly? We would be going in summer.

Thanks!

Also, recommendations of stops. 2 drivers but want leisure.

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

Actually Fairbanks is faster so am going that way. How many hours will it take with the road conditions to get to Slana? Should I stay somewhere in between?

Wish I could remove my original post, sorry.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

Why Slana??

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

Probably about 5 hour drive. You could stay in Tok or drive straight through. They are fairly standard two lane paved roads with occassional passing lanes. If you are coming in summer, there will be road construction so expect some delays.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

Yes from Fairbanks it is a shorter trip.......but the scenery will not be very remarkable....just wondered why you had first considered getting to Slana from Haines ?.....That would really be a much, much longer journey, but then again the scenery would be more enjoyable.....Just depends on how much time you have.....

Oregon
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

I'm a goofball that's why I asked the question. I then went and checked the distance after I asked. Sorry, my bad. Thanks for your advice everyone. Definitely Fairbanks to Slana.. Stay there and then we will go to Anchorage as it's the same difference and we can see more of the sights too.

Slana is where I used to live.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

I was going to ask why Slana also, the only reason would be that it used to be your home. Have a great trip.

7. Re: Fairbanks to Slana OR Haines to Slana??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:19