We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

I am staying in Denali for 2 days and have one extra day in my itinerary which I am thinking of visiting Fairbanks. Now my questions is should I stay overnight in Denali and just visit Fairbanks and\or stay in Fairbanks ?

Any must see places in FB ?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Would you drive up to Fairbanks, sight see, then drive back to Denali for overnight? Is it 2 days in Denali and 1 other day that could be spent in Fairbanks? If so, yes you should visit. If it is just two days total, you should stay in Denali.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Thanks for your time. It is 2 days in Denali and 1 extra day that I am thinking about visiting FB. I do have a rental car.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Where would you be heading after Fairbanks - all the way back to Anchorage the next day? If so, then I would stay in Denali Park just to shorten the drive. :)

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

coalminer,

Thanks! Yes will be driving back to Anchorage.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Two days in Denali = 1 night. Stay in Denali. Three days in Denali = 2 nights. You have more options, but still iffy to make the drive to Fairbanks for just one night. But without knowing your entire itinerary, it is really hard to give advice.

My standard answer about anything "best" is that "best" is subjective. What might be 'best" to me could bore you to tears. And vice versa.

Personally, even with 2 nights/3 days in Denali I would probably not go to Fairbanks just for a night unless you had something very specific you were going for. www.explorefairbanks.com. Figure out what interests YOU then decide.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

To do justice to Fairbanks, I think you need more than just one day there. I would suggest against it . . . and enjoy an extra day at Denali NP.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Thank you all. I am still struggling to understand what is in Denali for more than 2 days ? I have booked a shuttle to Wonder Lake for one day and I am going to do rafting , hiking one day so the third day?????

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

GMRAJ many of us, those providing you with the feedback, would do more than one day inside Denali on the shuttle buses. Since rafting is outside the park, right? You only have one day inside the park on the bus system. That is how I would spend another day at Denali.

There more time in the park, the more time for the opportunity for wonderful experiences including wildlife sightings, seeing Mt. McKinley, etc.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Thank you for the insight. Will plan accordingly.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning on visiting Fairbanks..need help...

Well, I guess it just depends on what all you like to do and how much you like to drive.

In the Denali Park, you could take a flight see, do the doggie demo, do some hiking around the entrance area, etc. You would not run out of things to see and do for several days.

However, Fairbanks is just a 2 hour drive - and I do that as a day trip all the time, so you could potentially leave early, do the museum, the river boat discovery, etc. and then head back to Healy/Denali Park for your night stay. That is something you can just wait and see on I guess. Just make sure you have your lodging secured in Healy/DP. :)